Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pedroccamara
Helper II
Helper II

Delete records or rows if blank field

Hello everyone

I use to work a file that has like 10.000 rows.

The "clean" step is very important cose i may end with just 8.000 records.

My question is: How to delete rows or records, if on certain field, column, has null value. I want to delete them, or learn how to do it, instead of hidden them. Is it possible?

Tks in advance

Pedro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pedroccamara - welcome back!

When you filter values out of a column in the query editor, it's essentially the same as deleting them. Those values will not be loaded to your data model, which will have the benefits of decreasing your load time and having fewer rows to process your calculations against.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @pedroccamara. While you're still in the Query Editor (where you get data, before you close and apply), select the column you want to use to check for nulls. If the values you're checking are actually blank, you can click the drop-down for Remove Rows in the ribbon, then click Remove Blank Rows.

If the rows are null, you can use the filter drop-down in the column and select Remove Empty.

Hello @KGrice

Many thanks for your answer.

I don't think it's working cose it deletes just the blancks. Power bi, for all it was blanks, add a "null value". I know they're blanks but power bi put them as null. Can i delete all rows that has null value on that field?

@pedroccamara

You should be able to use the second option I listed. I used the same thing to eliminate all rows where the column contained the word null as a null value.

Hello KGrice

I'm sorry i didn't reply sooner but i was in vacations.

The answer you gave me, i think, it's not what i want, cose it doesn't delete them, but only hide it.

Not sure if it is the same thing....

Hi @pedroccamara - welcome back!

When you filter values out of a column in the query editor, it's essentially the same as deleting them. Those values will not be loaded to your data model, which will have the benefits of decreasing your load time and having fewer rows to process your calculations against.

Not correct.when u do like that the other columns data also will lose.

Ex :

column1 having 100 records

column2 having 50 records and rest of the columns are contains null values

Suppose  if you filter values of Null of the column2 the other column1 data records also will get effected and leads to lost the data. column1 will have only 50 records.

If i m wrong kindly update .

Thanks

Hari

That i didn't know, hide is the same as delete. 

Thank you for the explanation KGrice.

Best regards

Pedro

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.