Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Delete pending changes

Hello,
I've been looking for a way to not apply the pending changes, but haven't had any luck. Is there an option or way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @elz,

Based on my research, whatever we have done in the Query Editor, the warning "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" will throw out in the report. Some changes we can find in the Applied Steps, and other changes like rename the dataset will not be listed, so that we are not able to know whether we have performed this operation. If you don't want to apply those pending changes, please close the Query Editor without Apply.

Currently, there is no OOTB feature for us to know pending changes. For this issue, I would suggest you submit a feedback in Power BI Idea forum.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
annucsb
Frequent Visitor

I download from the service and open the dataset and see the message "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied".  If I click apply changes, all the tables in the dataset dissappear.  The data set becomes empty.

I was going to start over by opening the mqueries and recreated the data set.  But no.

When I right click a table ... and select edit query I get the dialog "No Query Found" , "Please refresh the model to discard any stale data"

The data set it working. I see the data.  The data set refreshes in the service.  The data set has parameters and is connected to power bi data flows. 

My situation was simple: i loaded 2 objects from SalesForce and then tried to load 3 more (due to lack of memory, the action was stopped).

Then i could not for the life of me, delete the tables.

So i deleted all connections that related to those 2 tables, then i clicked Edit Query (from one of the tables i wanted to delete), then on the left hand side you get a list of all the pending queries, and i found the 2 loaded ones and the 3 that stopped. I right clicked on each of them and deselected "Enable Load" and i was prompted with the message that it will not include the tables in the next refresh (i singed Halleluyah)., then i hit Close and Apply, then i clicked apply changes (once i got the yellow message) and behold: they were gone.

So this was the story of my thriller, albeit a simple one (i did not do any connections or editing on them). But disabling the "Enable load" function should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI is a joke. Something pretty basic and impossible to do. 

kriman
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I can't get rid of  "there are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied".

Because of this error message, I can't upload my data, I am stuck in a endless loop asking me to apply changes, but changes can't never be applied due to an error.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @elz,

Based on my research, whatever we have done in the Query Editor, the warning "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" will throw out in the report. Some changes we can find in the Applied Steps, and other changes like rename the dataset will not be listed, so that we are not able to know whether we have performed this operation. If you don't want to apply those pending changes, please close the Query Editor without Apply.

Currently, there is no OOTB feature for us to know pending changes. For this issue, I would suggest you submit a feedback in Power BI Idea forum.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi qiuyun,
i have tried closing the query editor without applying the changes . i think this becomes a problem, when you make a change in the query editor, select "close", then go and make changes to a report and only want to save the changes you make to the report. perhaps adding an option to the apply changes dialog box that you get when you save the file, that says cancel pending changes made in the query editor would help.

Hi @elz,

What we can do currently is to cancel changes, we can click Undo button in Query Editor. But it's hard to find which steps are canceled. So if you have any feedback, you can post it in Power BI Idea forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elz

You can just go to query editor and delete the steps that are additional to the original. Once you do close and apply it won't show to apply pending changes as they are deleted.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This Soution actually wokrd for me. I have deleted all additional steps in Query like Rename Columns/Delete Columns etc and error disppeared. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not posible if the step to delete is the creation of the table itself.

Hi Ankit,

I guess that would work, but I don't know what changes were made and since then I have saved the file. I think that there should be an option to view a list of the changes and be able to select which changes to delete.

Tracy

@elz Outside of the steps you may make in altering the data set as Ankit mentions, there is no "version control" built into Power BI at the moment.

There are a couple requests for that functionality, I suggest you add some votes to one or both of these.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9677517-source-control

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7861287-dataset-report-version-co...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno,
I just posted and voted on one of the links you suggested. My concern is that the request is almost a year old.

@elz While not commented on, I do know that any request on the boards does get evaluated if it receieves over a certain amount of votes. These appear to have both met those numbers, hopefully they will get commented on to let use know if/when they will be implemented. Get as much support for the idea from colleagues if you can. I know that the product team watches those request boards for activity.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

hi eno,
yes, i agree. i thought that these requests had enough votes. i personally, don't need something as extensive as "version control". my guess is that for the message that there are pending changes to appear, a value is stored in a field in the software. i would just want to have an option that lets me disable the pending changes message not applied functionality, if that makes sense. having the ability to "see" what the changes are, aren't important to me at this time. plus, i know that developing a version control module from scratch, could take a long time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.