Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CJDK
Helper II
Helper II

Defining regions for mapping

In their data entry forms, users can select either a single country or a region consisting of multiple countries (e.g. Scandinavia = Denmark, Norway, Sweden). The values in the Location column therefore include both countries and regions. For example, in a dataset with only 5 records the Location column might contain these values:

Norway
Sweden
Sweden
Scandinavia
Denmark

In PowerBI, if the record for Scandinavia is selected, I want the map to fill all three countries.

Is this possible by grouping? Or can I define a region and relate that to the Location column (sounds unlikely to me)?

The map is based on an imported shape file, so not Bing or Esri.

Many thanks for any advice!

5 REPLIES 5
CJDK
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you all for your advice - it is very helpful. I am continuing to work with this and will post a conclusion if I find a solution.

Hi @CJDK 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Hi @v-rzhou-msft  - I am still working with this and at present have a technical problem with Power BI Desktop. I will return to this as soon as I have finalized my problems, but in the meantime I cannot say this is a solution. Thanks again for your support!

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CJDK 

I think you have to transform your data model as below and build a hierachy slicer to achieve your goal.

1.png

Result:

2.png

3.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi @CJDK ,

can you provide a sample file?

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors