Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Defining name for every 0 or 1 of the binary data

I have a data containing Binary data of 38 character (self chosen length).

Each of the data is describing a sensor which is either on = 1 or off = 0.

I would love to define each of those sensors and give it a name (in this case a numbername).

However, with my current method using MID and IF it only finds and accepts the first on = 1 state occurance, while ignoring the rest of 1s in the same row.

NB! there musn't be anything like 37, 33. just 1number  according to the list at each occurance of 1 binary.

see below picture:

bin.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous ,

I'm afraid DAX can't achieve your requirement because DAX engine doesn't support loop/iteration. You can use python script to achieve this. In query editor, click python script and implement code below:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script

import pandas as pd

Tool = [38, 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20,
        19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]

Result = []

for index, row in dataset.iterrows():
    Origin_List = list(row["Data"])
    for i in range(len(Origin_List)):
        if Origin_List[i] == "1":
            Result.append(str(Tool[int(i)]) + " ")
    dataset["Result"] = str(Result)

The result will be like this:

1.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

I have made a simple sample data like below:

1.PNG 

MID(URLLeast[Dec2Bin_func], 1, 1) will return "0"(text format) which is recognized as 0/FALSE, so the first IF condition will be skipped.

MID(URLLeast[Dec2Bin_func], 1, 2) will return "01"(text format) which is not equal to 0, so this condition is recognized as TRUE, so the value 37 in second IF condition will be returned.

Once a condition has been returned, the extra conditions will be skipped.

So if you modify the first condition like below:

TLstatus = IF(MID(URLLeast[Dec2Bin_func], 1, 1) = "0", 38, IF(MID(URLLeast[Dec2Bin_func], 1, 2), 37, IF(MID(URLLeast[Dec2Bin_func], 1, 3), 36)))

The result will be changed:

2.PNG 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft 

Unfortunately, that is not the solution I was asking. Maybe I should have explained it better.

What I want to know is:

Wether it is possible to give name to each one of the binary in a row, as such (example):
Binary:  00100000000000010000000000001000000000

Name to be given (left to right): 38, 37 .....................................3,2,1

For each occurance of 1 in the binary above one of the number(name), which is defined according to binary position shown. so for the binary above it would be: 36  22 10 must be shown.
However, with the code I have generated I can only see the first occurance of "1" shown as number i.e. 36, however I dont see 22 or 10. I know it is because 1 row can only give 1 feedback of result.

So a solution would be to make dax to create a copy of the row and then count the second "1" so it now shows the same row but also 22 and thus a new row for 10 etc... So it creates a new copy row for each time 1 occurs and then assign the name for it..

Any idea of how to do this?

@Anonymous ,

I'm afraid DAX can't achieve your requirement because DAX engine doesn't support loop/iteration. You can use python script to achieve this. In query editor, click python script and implement code below:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script

import pandas as pd

Tool = [38, 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20,
        19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]

Result = []

for index, row in dataset.iterrows():
    Origin_List = list(row["Data"])
    for i in range(len(Origin_List)):
        if Origin_List[i] == "1":
            Result.append(str(Tool[int(i)]) + " ")
    dataset["Result"] = str(Result)

The result will be like this:

1.PNG 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.