Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LindaHa
Helper I
Helper I

Define a start value (date)

Hello,

my x-axis uses dates (e.g. 01.01.2016). Unfortunately I cannot compare the different graphs as they display only the dates with values. I only want the x-axis to start at 01.12.2015. What do I have to enter for start?

Thanks Linda

8 REPLIES 8
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@LindaHa You don't need to manually enter start date what you can do is click on the dropdown (arrow) icon for the field you've used for Axis of the visual and click 'Show items with no data'. Alternatively if you want you can click on paintbrush icon and under x-axis you will get option for Start and End values.

Hi ankitpatira,

unfortunately the first solution does not work as I have a filter applied and the filter is the reason why the values in December are empty. Although they are empty I would need the empty x-axis value to be shown in the graph. When I go to the paintbrush icon and try to add a start value for the x-axis the field turns red. I think it wants to show me that the format I entered is wrong.

Thanks in advance Linda

Hi @LindaHa,

Could you please post sample data of your scenario and describe more details about  what filter you are using? I make a test using the following sample data, when I click “Show items with no data” for x-axis field, the visual shows expected result.
1.PNG

2.PNG

However, if you use visual level filter to set y-axis value to be not blank, the visual cannot show Aug 2016 label in x-axis.

3.PNG

In addtion, we are not able to enter date in Start on x-axis.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

thanks for your reply.  I have activated "show items with no data" and "month" on my x-axis. I have activated a page level filter and some visual filters.

data.PNG

This is my set up:

dataforgraph.PNG

Sorry I forgot to post my filters:

filters.PNG

Hi @LindaHa,

As we are not add date in Start on x-axis, in your scenario, you would need to remove the month-year filter in order to show label of 2015.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I removed the filter but unfortunately still no success.

Best regards Linda

Hi @LindaHa,

From your data source, I note that you don't have any data related to year 2015, in this case, we are not able to show 2015 label in the x-axis of the graph because the values of x-axis come from your data source.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.