Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Defect Rate Formula

I am VERY new to PowerBI and have been struggling with calculating a defect rate for weeks. Please help!

I have a table that has R (regular) and W (warranty) orders. I want to divide the InvoiceQty of the W orders by the InvoiceQty of the R orders to get the defect rate. I have tried many approaches and variations. Here is my current formula in the Query Editor: 

DefectRate = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(SUMX([InvoiceQty], [OrderType] = "W"),CALCULATE(SUMX([InvoiceQty],[OrderType]="R"))

The current error it gives me is a Token RightParen Expected Error. I have no idea what this means. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

Hi, are using DAX in Query Editor (This use Power Query Language).

To obtain this you can create a New Measure.

DEFECTRATE =
DIVIDE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
        FILTER ( YOURTABLE, YOURTABLE[OrderType] = "W" )
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
        FILTER ( YOURTABLE, YOURTABLE[OrderType] = "R" )
    )
)

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

Hi, are using DAX in Query Editor (This use Power Query Language).

To obtain this you can create a New Measure.

DEFECTRATE =
DIVIDE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
        FILTER ( YOURTABLE, YOURTABLE[OrderType] = "W" )
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
        FILTER ( YOURTABLE, YOURTABLE[OrderType] = "R" )
    )
)

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Lima - Peru
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am taking this formula a few steps further and I am stuck. Below I have added in DefectReason that is not AB Damage, I also need to add in that the DefectReason is not Concealed Damage or Goodwill. I tried with a comma but it does not like it. How can I add more?

UnfilterDefectRate = DIVIDE(
CALCULATE(
SUM ( vSalesMaster[WarrDetail.InvoiceQty] ),
FILTER (vSalesMaster,vSalesMaster[OrderType] = "W" &&
vSalesMaster[WarrDetail.DefectReason] <> "AB Damage" )
),
CALCULATE(
SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
FILTER (VSalesMaster,vSalesMaster[OrderType] = "R")
)
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the quick response. I have made the adjustments and am getting a Token RightParen expected error. 

= Table.AddColumn(vSalesMaster_View, "DefectRate1", each DIVIDE(
CALCULATE(
SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
FILTER (vSalesMaster,vSalesMaster[OrderType] = "W")
),
CALCULATE(
SUM ( [InvoiceQty] ),
FILTER (VSalesMaster,vSalesMaster[OrderType] = "R")
)
)

@Anonymous the token right partentheses error means that your left parentheses and right parenthesis do not match up. So you seem to have more ( then ) in your formula. Your formula seems to have 8 * ( and 7 * ). But I think you had figured this one out already.

As for your results of your formula: I am not sure that SUM is the right calculator. I think you should be using COUNT.

If I read your message correctly, your table has a row for each order na each order is either a "W" Waranty or a "R" Regular order.

Since you are summing the invoice quantity, I am wondering if your source data is correct. To me it seems like the waranty lines might contain incorrect InvoiceQTY data for your purpose.

@Anonymous

Don't do this in Query Editor.

Close that Window and to Main Screen.

Main.png

Let me know if need more help

Victor

Lima - Peru
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vvelarde

Thank you again. I am now getting numbers but they seem off. The defect rate is between 120,000% and 150,000%. 

For Example: January should be 6,511/100,310 = 6.49% but the chart shows 123,209%

Capture.GIF

Hi @Anonymous,

Please share your sample data for further analysis. If possible, please upload your pbix file.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous

Hi, is very difficult find a reason not viewing the data.

Try to create a measure to only sum the R and other to only sum the W and show in a visuals with the months, Maybe this give you a clue to solve it.

Lima - Peru
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all very much for the responses. I reloaded my two tables in a new file and merged them together. The formula works great now. I appreciate the assistance. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.