Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

phamilton
Frequent Visitor

Default behaviour in Date Slicer this month last month

We use a date slicer in a report for current month and last month.  When I change the slicer from this month to last month I want the default to be Months (Calendar) not Months.  Does anyone know if it is possible to set this as the Months option is of no value in our reports and just makes it confusing to users who are not familiar with the Months (Calendar) option.

I am sure this slicer has changed recently as I don't recall this being an issue previously.

Thanks

Pete

5 REPLIES 5
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @phamilton ,

Could you please post some simple sample data and your desired result to have a test if possible? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This happens with any date field, so no sample data required.  Just a few screenshots.

So when using a slicer set to relative format I see the following.  The default behaviour for this month is fine, as it shows the calendar month (first day of month to last day of month)
This Month BehaviourThis Month Behaviour

The issue occurs when you change to last month.  As you can see below, the default option is Months, which shows the last 30 days not the last calendar month.  You have to pick the option Months(calendar).  This is counterintuitive to the user

Last Month Image.png

See Gif below showing this behaviour.  The preference would be Last Month(Calendar) as the default behaviour.

Date Slicer behaviour.gif

Hi @phamilton ,

It is by design, If you select Last one Month, it is based on your current day and return the last 30 days. If you select the Last one Calendar, it will base on your calendar. Hope it will help you.

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So I take it from your reply that there is no way to change the default behaviour to set calendar month?  Not very intuative or particulary good design in my opinion.  I have seen this behaviour in the slicer create a lot of confusion on our team.

Hi @phamilton ,

Sorry, I am afraid you do could not achieve this feature currently, you may submit an idea in ideas forum:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.