Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mc625569
Regular Visitor

Decimal precision on currency field total

Hello, I have a currency field that I'm pulling in from an access database.  Any time I try and total the currency field using a matrix or table card the total shows 10 digits to the right of the decimal place instead of 2.  All the data in my source table has 1 or 2 digits to the right of the decimal

This should show $4867,324.80This should show $4867,324.80

How can I fix this so it shows a total that is accurate to the cent? 

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In the data model pane, click the column and in the Formatting section, set the decimal points to 2 and not Auto. This is the box next to the sort of greyed out:

In a card, you can set the decimal points by clicking the paintbrush for the visual and expanding "Data label" section and setting Decimial to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In the data model pane, click the column and in the Formatting section, set the decimal points to 2 and not Auto. This is the box next to the sort of greyed out:

In a card, you can set the decimal points by clicking the paintbrush for the visual and expanding "Data label" section and setting Decimial to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Do you have any idea what "Auto" does ?

I have no idea what rules it uses in its formatting.

I have a database table where every decimal value in the column has 6 decimals places.

Using the "Auto" formatting function it formats it to 2 decimals.

Yes I could set it to 6 decimals in the Modelling tab - but that defeats the purpose of how Auto formatting should work.

The numebr of decimals in the columns data source may be variable. sometimes all the fields may have 4 decimals. and in that case I want to display four. If theya ll have 6 characters - I want to display 6.  I dont want to have to set the numebr of decimals in the Modelling Format section - rather leave it as Auto and have the display adjust as the data does.

I know I can do this by using the FORMAT command changing it to text, but the tex cant be then used in aggreations, used with data bars or doesnt sort correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.