Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Decimal Type Join Columns in Modeling

Hi All,

In our project, we are using decimal(not fixed decimal) type Key columns for creating the relationship between dimensions and facts when we do modeling.

do we face any problems if we follow the above approach?

Thanks

Venkat

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I never heard of this before, I guess there will be some good reasoning for this kind of design decision.

Nevertheless, I guess as long as your decimal keys match the capabilities of the decimal (number) data type

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/tabular-models/data-types-supported-ssas-tabu...

you are good to go.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem we are having in our case is, our key columns are drive keys, means it is a combinition of multiple columns, when we are derive these drive keys, their size is more than the normal whole number(bigint in sql server), to accomadate the same, we coverted all these drive key columns types to decimal number(not fixed decimal), which is equal to decimal(38,0) in sql server. We want to know the problems, we may face when we do like this.

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem we are having in our case is, our key columns are drive keys, means it is a combinition of multiple columns, when we are derive these drive keys, their size is more than the normal whole number(bigint in sql server), to accomadate the same, we coverted all these drive key columns types to decimal number(not fixed decimal), which is equal to decimal(38,0) in sql server. We want to know the problems, we may face when we do like this.

I assume by drive keys you mean "derived" keys. If this is the case then using the decimal data type is a really bad idea. The decimal data type in tabular models is a floating point number, so it is not precise and this could cause two keys to possibly round differently and not match. Or worse still if could cause 2 different keys to round to the same value. You should use either a string or integer number for your keys.

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you'd like to know the limitation when using decimal type in power bi model, here're blogs for yourreference:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-numeric-data-type-conversions-in-dax/

https://www.qumio.com/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=50    

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.