cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taraskaduk Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Dealing with point-in-time data: saving it before an override

I am working with a database that doesn't save historical data. I.e. rows get an override every once in a while, and an old record doesn't exist anymore.

Is there a way to have Query Editor import the data and save it to, say, another table every time and not refresh that data again? Upon refresh, I'd lose all the rows that got an override between 2 refreshes. The process would be smth like this: import new data -> append to the data from the last import -> remove duplicates.

For now that process was to do a CSV import out of the database on a regular basis, save it on the local drive with a timestamp, and then let Query Editor import all the csv files and kill the duplicates. But I want to avoid the CSV file step and do it directly in Query Edtior.

Another way is to have my DBA create a custom table like this, but I want to see if I can do this on my own before rattling that cage.

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Dealing with point-in-time data: saving it before an override

Check out if this works for you:

http://www.thebiccountant.com/2016/02/09/how-to-create-a-load-history-or-load-log-in-power-query-or-...

Unfortunately the R-Export doesn't run in PBI-service, so you cannot automatically shedule the refresh.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,205)