Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StidifordN
Helper III
Helper III

Dealing with horizontal figures

Can PowerBI deal with figures populated horizontally?  Example of data provided

this are figures populated by a team for month on month savings.  Will be creating pretty simple graphs from it but will be month on month and some cumulative.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you import the data set, you have an option in the Query Editor called "Unpivot".  This will let you convert the data into records that will better suit how you will create your reports.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StidifordN
Helper III
Helper III

Fantastic!

Now that the Dates are the attribute - can I simply reclassify this column as a Date or will this cause issues?  The team intent to continue to manipulate the background data so if changing it to a date will cause issues with regular updates I don't want to touch it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as all the values in that column are something that can be converted into a date, or is a null, you should be able to make that column a Date or DateTime value.  If you have troubles, you can put in some steps to clean up the data a little before doing the conversion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you import the data set, you have an option in the Query Editor called "Unpivot".  This will let you convert the data into records that will better suit how you will create your reports.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

What would I have to do if I have to combine multiple files that are in this horizontal format (1 file for each year of data)? When combined and loaded into PowerBI, these two files are stacked on top of eachother. If I unpivot the dates based on the first file that appears on top, I am unable to unpivot the second set of dates from the 2nd file.

1st File: 

file 2.PNG

2nd File: 

file 1.PNG

I think you need to post an example/sample of the different datasets to get a concise answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can do! Thanks for the tip; I've edited my original post.

@StidifordN wrote:

I think you need to post an example/sample of the different datasets to get a concise answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.