Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with Information in one row that has several rows the need to reference that one row.

Hi All,

I am new to PowerBi and this is probably a newbie question but I have not beean about to work out how to be able to aloocate 1,2 or more rows with a single row.

I have Error message and it effects 2 different elements as the one error, I want to be able to create visualization of the information but having the null value makes it hard, plus there are many of the same error but with different elements.

See screen shot below

Error Messages.png

How do I get the 2 rows to the right of the error message column to reference the one error message in the first column.

Thanks in advance

Justin

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Justin,

Do you mean the nulls are the same value as the last row? If so, you can use the function Fill Down by clicking the header of the column. Please refer to the snapshot below.

Dealing-with-Information-in-one-row-that-has-several-rows-the-need-to-reference-that-one-row

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi v-jiascu

No unfortunately that's not what I am looking for, Think of each error message as in individual with 2 elements linked to it.

The first Error Message is 1 (with 2 elements)

The 2nd is 2

and so on

This is how it should look and how I see the data in the original excel File

Table 2.png

And even though the error messages are the same they are different, if you use the fill down tool you add another error message.

When I bring the Data into Power Bi it looks like this

Table 1.png

So Filling down adds another Error message when the original 1 Error message has two Elements, not 2 messages and an element each as it would show by Filling Down.

To add the the complexities, some Error meesages in the list only have 1 Elements and some have 3 or more.

How do I get the two elements associated with the 1 error message?

Regards

Justin

Hi @Anonymous ,

Fill-down doesn't add another error message. It's the same. The only difference could be that you need to distinct count the error message to get the error quantity.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.