Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

De-duplicatd headcount

I'm looking for suggestions to view de-duplicated results for university admissions application data for a selected period.

Most applicants apply for one degree program at a time. Some prospects though apply to be admitted to two programs simultaneously.  My fact table has a transaction for each application/program, and my PBI reports show the number of applications for whatever period is selected in the slicer.

Is there a way to filter this down to a de-duplicated or distinct headcount within the report? I'm looking for results that include only one instance of every applicant who applied in the selected period, and for those who applied to more than one program, the instance retained would be based on a ranking of the degrees: those with more required credit hours prefered to lower credit hour degrees. For example:

Prospect    Degree Program          Priority   In Report?
John Doe    Degree A (100 hours)    1          Yes
John Doe    Degree B (80 hours)     2          No

So if John Doe applied for thsese two programs in 2017 Q1, the 2017report would show only one. However, if John Doe applied for these two in 2017, but an earlier degree in 2013, a report showing year over year would have one result for John in 2013 and another in 2017.

Or would this best be done with a second, de-duplicated source fact table?

Thanks

Richard

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Could you please share sample data of your table and post expected result in  table format?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I can do that. Can you tell me the best way to share it on the forum? The example I gave initially was kind of clunky using the insert code option.

Thanks

Richard

@Anonymous,

You can publish your file to OneDrive and post shared link of the file here.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

I am not very clear about the logic you use to get expected result, could you please explain the process based on the sample data you shared with me? And do you only use Sample Human Readable Dataset in the Excel?

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.