Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Days out of order on Desktop but not PowerBI.com

This is an odd one.

on my Power BI desktop program the days are out of order.

PowerBI Desktop Program Days View.jpg

But then online they are in the correct order.

PowerBI website Days View.jpg

Good that they are in the correct order online but seems like a shakey solution. Anyone else come across this bug? I don't want it all to go wrong later on.

Cheers. ED.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Elliot. There are a few settings that determine the order that these would appear in. By default, categorical fields like this are set to appear alphabetically. You can override it by using the 'Sort By' feature: (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-sort-by-column). The final override is in the chart itself - from the ... icon you can set it to sort by category or measure ascending/descending.

Either way - you should see the same between Service and Desktop! But worth checking that the settings above are all the same in both places... If not, then it's definitely a bug. Please click the 🙂 in the top left corner in Desktop and send us a mail. If you can attach the workbook it'll help us track down any problems!

thanks!

Will

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Elliot. There are a few settings that determine the order that these would appear in. By default, categorical fields like this are set to appear alphabetically. You can override it by using the 'Sort By' feature: (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-sort-by-column). The final override is in the chart itself - from the ... icon you can set it to sort by category or measure ascending/descending.

Either way - you should see the same between Service and Desktop! But worth checking that the settings above are all the same in both places... If not, then it's definitely a bug. Please click the 🙂 in the top left corner in Desktop and send us a mail. If you can attach the workbook it'll help us track down any problems!

thanks!

Will

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Awesome - I was able to use those instructions on Sort by Column to sort the day name by another column I had called DayofWeekNumber.  and it worked perfectly. Cheers for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.