Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

syasmin25
Helper V
Helper V

Days Enrolled to Calculate Attendance

Hello, 

I am trying to calculate attendance for a School. I am still very new to DAX and needed some help. I am calculating Days Enrolled for Students to Calculate Attendance. I have a table (tStudent_Enrollment) that has the Student ID and their Enter and Leave Dates. And I have another table that has the Calendar Days. I have a Binary Column(Days-Count) where "1" means School Day and "0" means Holiday. I have tried to create relationship and calculate the days enrolled but I am unable to create two relationships to connect the School Date with that of the Enter and Leave Date. Please help me out! I am attaching images of the two tables here. 
Thank you for your time and consideration.
tStudent_Enrollment:
Capture.PNG

tSchedule:

Capture.PNG

Update 02.26.2020 

I tried to get the days enrolled from the two tables that I had provided above in picures. One is a date table that has 0 for Holidays and 1 for School days in Days-Count column. The holidays are not only Weenkends but also Winter Break,SpringBreak,National Holiday, etc. 
The formula that I have used to calculate Days Enrolled is:

Days =

Var TBL_Date = CALENDAR('tStudent_Enrollment'[Enter_Date],'tStudent_Enrollment'[Leave_Date])

Var TBL_FinalDate =
ADDCOLUMNS(TBL_Date,
"School_Days",IF(WEEKDAY([Date],2)>= 6,0,1),
"Off_Days",IFERROR(LookupValue('tStudent_Enrollment'[DAY_COUNT],'tStudent_Enrollment'[School_Date],[Date]),0)
)
Return
SUMX(TBL_FinalDate,IF([School_Days]=1 && [Off_Days]=0, 1,0))

However, the days enrolled shows 140 as of yesterday for most whereas, it is supposed to be under 120.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

That's great @syasmin25!

For simplicity, you can have a calculated column for handling blank date values:

Leave_Date2 = IF(ISBLANK([Leave_Date]),TODAY(),[Leave_Date])

and you may use it in place of orginal Leave_Date

Cheers!
Vivek

If it helps, please mark it as a solution
Kudos would be a cherry on the top 🙂

https://www.vivran.in/

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Is it possible for you to share the table and measures you have created? It would help in providing specific solution?

Or if you can share the pbix file with sample data?

Cheers!
Vivek

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @syasmin25,

Are you trying to link Enter_Date & Leave_Date with School_Date?

Also, what is the output you are looking for in terms of attendance calculation?

Cheers!
Vivek

Connect on LinkedIn

I was trying to calculate the "Days Enrolled" which I have figured out. However, due to null values in my Leave Date, my calculation is having errors. Could you please tell me what would be a good way to replace the blanks with todays date. Thank you!

That's great @syasmin25!

For simplicity, you can have a calculated column for handling blank date values:

Leave_Date2 = IF(ISBLANK([Leave_Date]),TODAY(),[Leave_Date])

and you may use it in place of orginal Leave_Date

Cheers!
Vivek

If it helps, please mark it as a solution
Kudos would be a cherry on the top 🙂

Connect on LinkedIn

I had another question, so I used Calendar formula to calculate the days enrolled. However, it is now stating that "the start date in calendar function can’t be later than the end date". I do need it to work that way in order to calculate the days enrolled. Is there any solution to this?

Hi @syasmin25 ,

We canuser a meassure as below without creating relationship between your tables.

days = 
VAR ent =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Enter_Date] )
VAR le =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Leave_date] )
VAR w1 =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'date' ),
        FILTER (
            'date',
            'date'[Date] >= ent
                && 'date'[Date] <= le
                && 'date'[count] = 1
        )
    )
VAR wnon =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'date' ),
        FILTER (
            'date',
            'date'[Date] >= ent
                && 'date'[Date] <= TODAY ()
                && 'date'[count] = 1
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( ISBLANK ( le ), wnon, w1 )

Capture.PNG

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hey, 

Thank you for your time. It seems correct and normally I would have done it that way. Its just that there are holidays on weekdays in School (National Holiday, Winter Break, etc.) so that would not be possible with this way.

Is it possible for you to share the table and measures you have created? It would help in providing specific solution?

Or if you can share the pbix file with sample data?

Cheers!
Vivek

Connect on LinkedIn

I tried to get the days enrolled from the two tables that I had provided above in picures. One is a date table that has 0 for Holidays and 1 for School days in Days-Count column. The holidays are not only Weenkends but also Winter Break,SpringBreak,National Holiday, etc. 
The formula that I have used to calculate Days Enrolled is:

Days =

Var TBL_Date = CALENDAR('tStudent_Enrollment'[Enter_Date],'tStudent_Enrollment'[Leave_Date])

Var TBL_FinalDate =
ADDCOLUMNS(TBL_Date,
"School_Days",IF(WEEKDAY([Date],2)>= 6,0,1),
"Off_Days",IFERROR(LookupValue('tStudent_Enrollment'[DAY_COUNT],'tStudent_Enrollment'[School_Date],[Date]),0)
)
Return
SUMX(TBL_FinalDate,IF([School_Days]=1 && [Off_Days]=0, 1,0))

However, the days enrolled shows 140 as of yesterday for most whereas, it is supposed to be under 120.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.