Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AAbdelkader
Helper I
Helper I

Dax or M Language

Hello there,

I need to ask which the effective language that should I deep dive into, which language is worthy to rely on my data analysis. I'm still a newbie in BI but I'm familiar with creating the desired report and chart based on a little knowledge of BI. And I need to start deep dive into data analysis through the provided BI language, but the question here Dax or M Language or both of t them? I'm relly messy.

thanks a lot.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You emphasized Data Analysis twice in your post so I'll say DAX first!

DAX stands for Data Analysis Expressions after all Smiley Happy

That said inevitably you WILL need some knowledge of M

However the User Interface in the Query Editor is extremely helpful so you can delay having to learn M indefinitely Smiley Wink

Don't let @ImkeF and @MarcelBeug see this post Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Check out this article fresh from the press: http://radacad.com/m-or-dax-that-is-the-question

Agree with @Sean : Make use of the wonderful user interface in the query editor which let's you glide into the language with minimal efford, if you start to read the code that has been created with your interactions:

PBI_MorDAX.jpg

1) Make sure that the Formula Bar is visible (2)

3) Click on each stepname and see what code has been generated (2)

It's a bit like the Macro-recorder in Excel. It's a painless excercise at the beginning and you will develop a feeling for the syntax of the language and in no time you might start to twitch the code a bit and explore coding 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi AAbdelkader

I totally agree with @ImkeF and @Sean.

My advise to my team is simple:

- import and massage data by using Power Query aka M in Power BI.

- Create your calculation with DAX.

By learning Dax and M you will learn to find the nuances and intersections in the two languages.

12 REPLIES 12

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.