Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RichardV
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dax: blank values +0 formula

Hi guys,

I was wondering if somebody could help me. It is concerning a PBI report with 2 visualisations, and I am working with an SSAS tabular model.

Visualisation 1: line graph with date (by day) on the X axis, and amount of files on the Y axis (last 3 years)

Visualisation 2: line graph with months on the X axis, amount of files on the Y axis and years as legend. (last 3 years)

Question:

I wanted to have a "0" instead of "blank" value for visual 1. That way, I can see for each data if there was one or multiple files per day. Therefore, I used the DAX formula "Measure = [amount of files] + 0", which works great for visualisation 1.

However, If I am using this formula for visualisation 2, it shows a line at "0" at november and december 2017. This I do not want to see, because this is a future date with no values.

Is there a DAX formula to make a measure to show a "0" for a blank value for each date earlier than today, but which is showing blank values for future days?

Help is appreciated, because I am not yet that savvy with DAX. Also keep in mind that the DAX formula should not include creating a calculated column, because I want to make the measure on top of an SSAS tabluar model.

Many many thanks in advance!!!

Richard

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RichardV,

You can use IF condition in your measure like:

Measure = IF(MAX(Table[Date].[MonthNo])<=MONTH(TODAY()),[amount of files]+0,BLANK())

Remember to enable 'Show items with no data' on chart axis.

1.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @RichardV,

So, currently, with this formula Measure= IF(MAX('Table'[Date])>DAY(TODAY()) . [Amount of files]+0, BLANK()), you can always achieve the desired result, right?

Regards,
Yuliana  Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RichardV,

You can use IF condition in your measure like:

Measure = IF(MAX(Table[Date].[MonthNo])<=MONTH(TODAY()),[amount of files]+0,BLANK())

Remember to enable 'Show items with no data' on chart axis.

1.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thanks a lot for your comment.

However, it deed not seem to work. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I don't have the function with "show items with no data' because I create a measure on top of a SSAS tabular model.

The strangest thing is, that I tweaked a little with the formula, and I have seem to make it work. Unfortunately, I do not have an idea why this works.

The only thing that I did, is change "<=" into ">". So the formula becomes:

Measure= IF(MAX('Table'[Date])>DAY(TODAY()) . [Amount of files]+0, BLANK())

I don't have an explanation for why this works. Can I use this safely, or is there any error in this?

Best,

Richard

Hi @RichardV,

So, currently, with this formula Measure= IF(MAX('Table'[Date])>DAY(TODAY()) . [Amount of files]+0, BLANK()), you can always achieve the desired result, right?

Regards,
Yuliana  Gu

Yes, although no idea why it works

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.