Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dax Product Measure for a Specific Name

Hi Guys,

I have the following table:

ProductCategorySales Values
ARed2
ARed2
BRed3
BRed3
BRed2
CBlue2
CBlue2
CBlue2
CBlue2

I want to create a measure/column/visualization of some sort that calculates the sum of the sales values for a specific product and divide it by the sum of all sales values for the category that this product is in. Also I want to add a card that shows the result when i am filtering for a specific product without messing up my other data.

For example I want to calculate the share of Product A in Category Red: (2+2)/(2+2+3+3)*100.

I also want to do this type of calculation for other Products. Do I have to do it manually or is there some kind of way to make a function in the visualization pane where i can choose whatever product i want and it calculates it for me?

I tried sometheing like Share = CALCULATE(Sum(('Table'[Sales Value])), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Product]="Red"))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous I have created a small PBIX file using your sample data. It is giving me correct values. Maybe if you can share the complete data or Model, I can give a further try. PBIX File

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Omega What if i add a slicer and want my data to filter as the selection of the slicer?

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

In that case, you need to use allselected() function in your formula which reads the selected value. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would it fit in the formula that you gave me?

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You will change allexcept with allselected 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't work because in this case it divides by itself and I always get 100%.

AnkitBI
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As I understand, you will be using a Slicer on Product. Give below a try and let me know.

Measure 15 = 

var Category = CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sales Values]),filter(all(Table1),Table1[Category] in VALUES(Table1[Category])))
return
DIVIDE(sum(Table1[Sales Values]),Category,0) * 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnkitBI It doesn't seem to work in my case, it returns 0.

@Anonymous I have created a small PBIX file using your sample data. It is giving me correct values. Maybe if you can share the complete data or Model, I can give a further try. PBIX File

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Try creating the below measure: 

Measure = 
var Category = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Sales Values]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Category]))
return
DIVIDE(SUM(Table1[Sales Values]),Category,0)*100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Omega When I use it it returns a very close result but lower than expected in every case. Since the file is too large I can't manually where the error comes from. Maybe it doesn't take all the data I want, or it just divides by a larger amount. How can I make sure that even if there are duplicated products I still get the correct result?

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Maybe it's due to rounding or hidden decimals? Double check the dataset 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Omega It seems good but Category is a calculated column and doesn't work.

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

you've a many-to-many relationship between products and categories, is that really the case?  Can one product really belong to different categories?

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LivioLanzo No, 1 product belongs to 1 category

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.