Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dax Measure is text instead of decimal number

Hi everyone, 

I'm working on a report in Power BI that I did not build myself, and so it is quite difficult for me to understand some of the DAX.  

I have a measure that already exists that shows me the Average Handling Time. However, the result of the measure is of the type text and I need it to be a decimal number since I want to be able to apply conditional formatting. 

This is the DAX: 

AVG handling time = 
VAR Duration = DIVIDE(SUM('Daily Agent'[holdtime]) + SUM('Daily Agent'[i_acwtime]) + SUM('Daily Agent'[i_acdtime]);
                        SUM('Daily Agent'[acdcalls]);
                        0)
// There are 3,600 seconds in an hour
VAR Hours =
    INT ( Duration / 3600)
// There are 60 seconds in a minute
VAR Minutes =
    INT ( MOD( Duration - ( Hours * 3600 );3600 ) / 60)
// Remaining seconds are the remainder of the seconds divided by 60 after subtracting out the hours 
VAR Seconds =
    ROUNDUP(MOD ( MOD( Duration - ( Hours * 3600 );3600 ); 60 );0) // We round up here to get a whole number
// These intermediate variables ensure that we have leading zero's concatenated onto single digits
// Hours with leading zeros
VAR H =
    IF ( LEN ( Hours ) = 1; 
        CONCATENATE ( "0"; Hours );
        CONCATENATE ( ""; Hours )
      )
// Minutes with leading zeros
VAR M =
    IF (
        LEN ( Minutes ) = 1;
        CONCATENATE ( "0"; Minutes );
        CONCATENATE ( ""; Minutes )
    )
// Seconds with leading zeros
VAR S =
    IF (
        LEN ( Seconds ) = 1;
        CONCATENATE ( "0"; Seconds );
        CONCATENATE ( ""; Seconds )
    )
// Now return hours, minutes and seconds with leading zeros in the proper format "hh:mm:ss"
RETURN(
    IF(H = "" && M = "" && S = "";
        "";
            CONCATENATE ( M; CONCATENATE ( ":"; S ) ) ) )

Is there a way to change this code so the output will be a decimal number instead of text? 

I would only need the result in minutes, so the hours & seconds step might not be necessary. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

well, this is not a DAX issue but a mathematical one. 13:50 does NOT convert to 13.5 in decimal.
To convernt the 50 seconds in fraction of a unit you have to make a proportion x=50*1/60 so your 13:50 is actually, in decimal, 13.83

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

AVG handling time = 
VAR Duration = DIVIDE(SUM('Daily Agent'[holdtime]) + SUM('Daily Agent'[i_acwtime]) + SUM('Daily Agent'[i_acdtime]);
                        SUM('Daily Agent'[acdcalls]);
                        0)
// There are 3,600 seconds in an hour
VAR Hours =
    INT ( Duration / 3600)
// There are 60 seconds in a minute
VAR Minutes =
    INT ( MOD( Duration - ( Hours * 3600 );3600 ) / 60)
// Remaining seconds are the remainder of the seconds divided by 60 after subtracting out the hours 
VAR Seconds =
    ROUNDUP(MOD ( MOD( Duration - ( Hours * 3600 );3600 ); 60 );0) // We round up here to get a whole number
// These intermediate variables ensure that we have leading zero's concatenated onto single digits
// Hours with leading zeros
VAR H =
    IF ( LEN ( Hours ) = 1; 
        CONCATENATE ( "0"; Hours );
        CONCATENATE ( ""; Hours )
      )
// Minutes with leading zeros
VAR M =
    IF (
        LEN ( Minutes ) = 1;
        CONCATENATE ( "0"; Minutes );
        CONCATENATE ( ""; Minutes )
    )
// Seconds with leading zeros
VAR S =
    IF (
        LEN ( Seconds ) = 1;
        CONCATENATE ( "0"; Seconds );
        CONCATENATE ( ""; Seconds )
    )
// Now return hours, minutes and seconds with leading zeros in the proper format "hh:mm:ss"
RETURN(
    Minutes

You just have to change the return value

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

I've tried adjusting it to just return minutes but it will really only give me the minutes, not the seconds. 

If I return the seconds it will show fifty. 

I cannot concatenate these two together because of it being text value then. 

How can I solve this? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

you said you want to return MINUTES, and the measure returns minutes.

Exactly what is you desired result for like 13:50? 13? 50? 13.9 (so the 50 seconds normalized to 100)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ideal situation would be that it returns 13,5 @Anonymous. However, I talked about it with the guy who made the rapport and he said it might be better to start from scratch with some dummy data. 

Right now I made the DAX formula return the time as 00:13:50 so if I could format that to just say 13,5 that would also be a solution. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

well, this is not a DAX issue but a mathematical one. 13:50 does NOT convert to 13.5 in decimal.
To convernt the 50 seconds in fraction of a unit you have to make a proportion x=50*1/60 so your 13:50 is actually, in decimal, 13.83

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.