Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmck86
Post Patron
Post Patron

Dax Formula Help

Hi All,

I am working with a dataset similar to the one listed below and I am trying to create a DAX formula and have been using an IF formula and it was a formula that looked at the Proposal Type Column and said IF that field is "Internal Proposal" then pull back Investment Priority... However after that I tried to nest additional IF statements into that one that would say IF Investment Priority is "N/A", pull back Corporate Focus Area. Everytime it seems to only review the first logic and not the rest. I think I am doing the formula slightly wrong. Anyone have an idea of what formula I should use for this issue?

Request #Proposal TypeInvestment PriorityCorporate Focus AreaSelect Applicable Investment Priority
1LCDCommunity Impact  
2LCDEnvironmental  
3Internal ProposalN/AExecutive  
4Economic Mobility   
5Environmental   
6Community Impact   
7LCDN/A Environmental
8Internal Proposal Corporate 

2017-04-20_14-24-31.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you elaborate why you think its ignoring the second half?

Investment Priority Test =
IF (
    'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Internal Proposal -Administrators Only",
    IF (
        'CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ] = BLANK (),
        'CyberGrants Data'[Corporate Focus Area],
        'CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ]
    ),
    IF (
        'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Local Community Development",
        'CyberGrants Data'[Investment Priority Category ],
        'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type]
    )
)

Seems to work fine

IF Statements.png

Make sure you are checking for the correct column values - meaning the conditions are spelled as they are in the column

"Internal Proposal " will not be found in the Proposal Type Column but "Internal Proposal" will be with no space at the end

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nmck86

Can you share with us the measure you are using?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Investment Priority Test = IF('CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Internal Proposal", 'CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ], IF('CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ] = Blank(), 'CyberGrants Data'[Corporate Focus Area]))

This is something similar to what I have... However, when I was running it only select applicable investment priority would pull back.. none of the other conditions if that field is blank are working... I hope this helps... 

Hi @nmck86

What you need to do when nesting IF is to rather use the SWITCH DAX function.

And here is a really great blog post from Power Pivot Pro explaining how to use it.

https://powerpivotpro.com/2015/03/the-diabolical-genius-of-switch-true/ 

Also is this for a measure or creating a column?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi I am still working to understand switch statements... does anyone know why my formula below is IGNORING the 2nd half of my if statement around "Local Community Development" that is the issue I am running into now... I have an if statement that is working but there seems to be something wrong with my logic since it is diregarding the second half of the formula.

Investment Priority Test = IF('CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Internal Proposal -Administrators Only",
    IF('CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ] = BLANK(),  
        'CyberGrants Data'[Corporate Focus Area],'CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ]),
        IF('CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Local Community Development",
            'CyberGrants Data'[Investment Priority Category ],'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type]))

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you elaborate why you think its ignoring the second half?

Investment Priority Test =
IF (
    'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Internal Proposal -Administrators Only",
    IF (
        'CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ] = BLANK (),
        'CyberGrants Data'[Corporate Focus Area],
        'CyberGrants Data'[Select the applicable investment priority ]
    ),
    IF (
        'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type] = "Local Community Development",
        'CyberGrants Data'[Investment Priority Category ],
        'CyberGrants Data'[Proposal Type]
    )
)

Seems to work fine

IF Statements.png

Make sure you are checking for the correct column values - meaning the conditions are spelled as they are in the column

"Internal Proposal " will not be found in the Proposal Type Column but "Internal Proposal" will be with no space at the end

Ugh. You have to love pesky little "extra spaces" I wracked my brain on it and that was the issue and your reminder is what prompted me to verify it again :-)! Thanks so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors