Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dax DATEADD question why adding .date changes things

I have a DAX query to look at last years sales using Adventureworks

Last Years Internet Sales = CALCULATE(FactInternetSales[# Sales Amount], DATEADD(DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey],-12,MONTH))
LastYearsSalesLC.JPG
This is great, but when Im writing the DaX Query it always wants me to do this
Last Years Internet Sales = CALCULATE(FactInternetSales[# Sales Amount], DATEADD(DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey].[Date],-12,MONTH))

Note the .date which changes to this

LastYearsSalesLCError.JPG

Last year and Sales are now the same. Im trying to get my hear round why adding the .Date changes the Query so much. Has anyone got an easy to understand answer to this one?

Thnaks in advence

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @DebbieE 

Yes, usually, we don't need to use .[Date] in dax, it only work in date hierarchy row context.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-auto-date-time

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @DebbieE 

.[Date] only calculate in date hierarchy of one viusal.

here is a simple sample will give you a better understand.

Last Years Internet Sales = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Qty]), DATEADD('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH))
Last Years Internet Sales 2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Qty]), DATEADD('Date'[Date].[Date],-12,MONTH))

1.JPG

Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This concept is just so hard to understand. You say that .date means that it only works on the date rather than the hierarchy but my visual does use date rather than the hierarchy so I still just dont understand how this all works. 

hi @DebbieE 

".[Date]" only works on hierarchy date rather than date, this just means when you use Date hierarchy for your date filed, it will work.

3.JPG

Regards,

Lin

Ahhhh so If Im using the date hierarchy then .Date should be fine. However because Im using just date I dont need the .date. Ill have to test that out. Thankyou.

hi @DebbieE 

Yes, usually, we don't need to use .[Date] in dax, it only work in date hierarchy row context.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-auto-date-time

Regards,

Lin

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@DebbieE 

Quite Interesting..

I Just have a theory..

If I have a table with one row and one date column  with value 1/1/2019, and when I create a table visual with date, I only see 1 row - 1/1/2019.

But when I change the attribute date to show hierarchy, I see all the dates in 2019. 

Also, test this out by creating two new tables as below.

New Table = DATEADD(TABLE1[DATE].[DATE],-11,MONTH)
New Table = DATEADD(TABLE1[DATE],-11,MONTH)

The first table(With hierarchy) returns only January dates(-11 actually removes all the preceding 11 months on 12/31/2019; when you specify -12, table is null)

The second table(without hierarchy) actually brings in previous year if you have data in table, otherwise null.

Basically the DATEADD function behaves differently when we specify hierarchy.

So, looking at your example, when you use hierarchy, the dateadd returns null and it has no effect on CALCULATE statement.

Disable the date hierarchy in Desktop - Options->data load ->Time intelligence->Auto Date/Time

-vasanth

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I will have a work through this. Just having a look at this answers Im just as stuck as I was before. Sometimes Dax is incredibly difficult to get your her around

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.