Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Susan_Colyn
Helper I
Helper I

Dates not linking

Hi,

I have 8 data sheets and had to create various relationships to show the required data.  Each data sheet has date per month and I am now struggling to the data to show per month.

I do not want to delete the relationship I already create, as I need it for the filters I require and if I try to create a relationship between the date fields then I receive an error.

Does anyone know how I can solve this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is an issue with circular relationships, not anything to do with the date field itself. However you've set up your schema, it's created a situation where there's ambiguity between tables. You'll need to reevaluate your relationship map to eliminate this.

Unforunately, we probably can't help you unless you post significantly more info, which might be propritary. Could you create a PBIX with sample tables?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Susan_Colyn,

Are the dates classified as one of the Date datatypes, or are they formatted as text?

It would also be helpful to post a (scrubbed) sample of two of the tables you're trying to connect, and the specific error message you're recieving.

Filters.jpgI added a date column in each table and included a formula "eomonth".

These are the filters I require in the dashboard.

Relationships.jpgDashboard.jpg

This is the relationship I created for all the filters

Here is the matrix to check if the data is correct.  The totals are correct but the monthly data is incorrect.

Error message.jpgIf I try to create more  relationship I receive this error message

This is an issue with circular relationships, not anything to do with the date field itself. However you've set up your schema, it's created a situation where there's ambiguity between tables. You'll need to reevaluate your relationship map to eliminate this.

Unforunately, we probably can't help you unless you post significantly more info, which might be propritary. Could you create a PBIX with sample tables?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.