Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MtnXfreeride

Dates Being Combined Rather than a Timeline

I feel dumb for not understanding how to make what I think is the most simple graph possible.

I have a column of dates to go along with a column of events and I am essentially trying to graph out how many events happen each day over the last 3 months of data.

Power Bi is combining date/time data - instead of showing me the count by day of month for each of three months as a timeline, it is showing the count by day as a sum of each month...  ex.  Its adding Jan 1st with Feb 1 and March 1st.  It would be adding Jan 2015 with Jan 2016 with Jan 2017 if I had 3 years of data and drilled down by month. 

How do I show my data by date? 

3 REPLIES 3

If you are using a "Day of Month" value (i.e. 1-31) for your axis, then there will duplicate values (one for each month).  You need to use the entire date or some other unique identifier (i.e. 20170101 for Jan 1 2017) for your axis in order for the count to be truly for each day of month.

This is how my date/time column is formatted (pasted directly from excel):

03/27/17 18:20:22

Do you still think it is my formatting?

First, I would use the Query Editor to extract just the date from this column (unless you need time too, but it doesn't sound like it for this specific chart).  Next, I would create a date table that spans (at least) the start and end dates of your fact table.  You want to do this so that days with no data will not be missing from the axis.  After doing this and creating the relationship between the date table and the fact table, place the date field from the date table as your axis.  You will also notice that Power BI defaults to a date hierarchy when you place a date field on an axis.  Try turning that off (click on the drop down arrow and select date rather than hierarchy).

Feel free to post sample data/pbix if this doesn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.