Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datediff formula help!

Can someone help me with setting up a datediff formula or some other that can be used in this case. only have thisonly have this

I have a column which have a start date when a project starts. You register that with a app ( start date) .
I want to know the current duration of an ongoing project. It depends when it stops til someone goes to the app and punches in a stop time. If there is no stop just give me ongoing days.
If a project starts at 01.01.19 and goes for until 5.01.19.
 And then I want to know the total duration of a completed project in a new column.

So two column one ongoing and one completed project days. I only have start date. And stop date.

Start date:                              Ongoing:               Stop Date.              Completed project days

01.01.19                                        1
                                                      4                       05.01.19                                         4

Or setting ongoing to just count days 1. Instead of 1, 2, 3 ,4 . Just see what is possible or not. Both can be used!

Start date:                              Ongoing:               Stop Date.              Completed project days

01.01.19                                        1
                                                      1                       05.01.19                                         4

want to create. ongoing and complete.want to create. ongoing and complete.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous If I understood you somewhat correct this is what I would do:

For the COMPLETED PROJECT DAYS: If you only want to display values for completed projects and have blank cells for ongoing projects do the following: 

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);" ";DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];TableX[Finished];DAY))

This ignores ongiong projects.

For the ONGOING DAYS column: if you want the number of days for ongiong projects and ignore finished use the following

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];Today();DAY);" ")

My own recommendation: 

personally I would have went with a column for the number of days for every project (finished and ongoing) and then have a column to indicated if the project is finished or ongoing. In the order I've mentioned the columns would look like this

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];Today();DAY);DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];TableX[Finished];DAY))
IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);"Ongoing";"Finished")

This'll also make it easier when displaying a slicer for viewing projects in the report. 

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous as you hinted it it's very similar in fact it's the same function you need to use as I put in the last part of my other message. The following

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];Today();DAY);DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];TableX[Finished];DAY))

The function evaluates if the cell in the stop date column is empty (=Project is ongoing) or not and uses the appropriate calculation based on this. 

Hope it helps. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous If I understood you somewhat correct this is what I would do:

For the COMPLETED PROJECT DAYS: If you only want to display values for completed projects and have blank cells for ongoing projects do the following: 

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);" ";DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];TableX[Finished];DAY))

This ignores ongiong projects.

For the ONGOING DAYS column: if you want the number of days for ongiong projects and ignore finished use the following

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);DATEDIFF(TableX[Started];Today();DAY);" ")

My own recommendation: 

personally I would have went with a column for the number of days for every project (finished and ongoing) and then have a column to indicated if the project is finished or ongoing. In the order I've mentioned the columns would look like this

IF(ISBLANK(TableX[Finished]);"Ongoing";"Finished")

This'll also make it easier when displaying a slicer for viewing projects in the report. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Thanx alot!

I have another question if you can answear me.

Which is almost the same.

Capture date diff.PNG

Here I have a project ID when a projects starts. Then some projecets stops. Here I have made a datediff duration, which takes todays date and shows the duration of the project. 

So Can you help me with setting up a formula that says. 

If project ID has a start and stop time give me this, if it only has a start date give me output duration of the project today. 

I want to replace project id 1 = from 22 days to 5 days 

And I want to replace project id 2 = from 21 days to 9 days. But the rest is correct since it doesnt have any stop time yet. It really depends when a project stops.

In the same coulmn

Hope this is clear. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous as you hinted it it's very similar in fact it's the same function you need to use as I put in the last part of my other message. The following

The function evaluates if the cell in the stop date column is empty (=Project is ongoing) or not and uses the appropriate calculation based on this. 

Hope it helps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.