Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

baravo
Helper I
Helper I

Dateadd for incomplete months - problem with the last date

Hi, I am trying to make a comparison of revenues this month vs last month. I want to compare the current month, i.e. 01/07 to 20/07 against 01/06 to 20/06. 

All works fine, until I select the last available day in the slicer. It does not compare the proportional part of the last month, but the whole last month. When I select the last but one date, it works fine.

What can I do to solve it?

This is the DAX function I used:

Revenue LM = CALCULATE([Revenue],DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,MONTH))

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved it!

The problem was that my calendar date was related to another table (invoices) with MIN and MAX date values:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN(Invoices[date]),MAX(Invoices[date]))

I changed my Calendar Date to this:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN(Invoices[date]),DATE(2021,31,12))

and limited the dates in filter by Relative Date for the last 3 years, so I only see the past till today.

It works!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
baravo
Helper I
Helper I

Guys, these do not solve my issue. The DATEADD, as well as your suggestions work fine, but the last day of the dataset does not work fine, instead of comparing the same proportion of the month vs previous month, i.e. 1-20/07 vs 1-20/06, it compares 1-20/07 vs 1-30/06, that is the whole month of June. But this happens only when I select the last available date in the slicer, i.e. current date.

The most common issue is this one:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dateadd-for-incomplete-months/m-p/540260/highlight/false#M2...

MFelix comments: "When having time intelligence it will get the last day of the month as a maximum value so you are getting the full month if you change your slicer to one day earlier it will give only the 10 days of october.

To work around this you should add your date to the visual filter or report filter and the select the option Relative date filtering and select is in the last X days, months or years."

However, this work around doesn't work to me.

I solved it!

The problem was that my calendar date was related to another table (invoices) with MIN and MAX date values:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN(Invoices[date]),MAX(Invoices[date]))

I changed my Calendar Date to this:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN(Invoices[date]),DATE(2021,31,12))

and limited the dates in filter by Relative Date for the last 3 years, so I only see the past till today.

It works!
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @baravo ,

Refer to this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculation-for-Last-month-Same-Period/td-p/730183 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@baravo , this should have worked. But when you use month year as view by it start taking month-end date.

Try datesmtd

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
Month behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Month))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

also refer

https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.