Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbriggs
Frequent Visitor

DateTime.LocalNow

Good Morning

I'm calculating the difference between DateTime.LocalNow and the date of a work order.  My question is: does a calculated value based on DateTime.LocalNow automatically update each day or do you have to actively refresh the data?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If it is part of the query, then DateTime.LocalNow will evaluate each time that the query refreshes, so you would have to actively refresh the data. If you want to do it in DAX, it would be the TODAY() or NOW() function and that would be updated each day automagically without a data refresh. Calculated columns in DAX are evaluated when the data model is opened/accessed.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If it is part of the query, then DateTime.LocalNow will evaluate each time that the query refreshes, so you would have to actively refresh the data. If you want to do it in DAX, it would be the TODAY() or NOW() function and that would be updated each day automagically without a data refresh. Calculated columns in DAX are evaluated when the data model is opened/accessed.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

I am currently running into this issue. Is there something I can do in Direct Query that automaticlly updates the today function? That is one of the last peices of the puzzle I am trying to figure out. The data is updating and flowing through, but I have one chart that is based off of dates and having the today column update on its own. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Hi @Tapco_AV !
I faced the same issue today...

Have you found any solution?
Best wishes, Inna

dbriggs
Frequent Visitor

Good Morning

I'm calculating the difference between DateTime.LocalNow and the date of a work order.  Can anyone tell me if the calculated field automatically updates each time the file is opened or do you have to actively refresh the data.  Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.