cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RMDNA Senior Member

DateTime.LocalNow to number conversion

Hi all,

I have a table in my report that contains "DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())" in order to provide a "last refreshed on:" card. What I'd like to do, for a forecasting piece, is only display events after that date.

Our event dates are structured as a whole number in the format "20170323," while DateTime returns a date "3/23/2017," so I need the refresh date as a number in order to filter by "greater than." 

When I attempt to convert the date to a whole number data type, it changes to (using the above date) 42817. Any tips?

14 REPLIES 14
RMDNA Senior Member

Re: DateTime.LocalNow to number conversion

bump - anyone?

Super User
Super User

@RMDNA

Hi, in Query Editor with Power Query you can Add a column extracting & concatening your date in the text structure expected.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt253343.aspx

Lima - Peru
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

RMDNA Senior Member

The end goal is to get the date in "whole number" format. I'm able to get the date as text, but I can't change it from there.

"3/24/2017" (DateTime) to "20170324" (Whole Number) - it breaks, returns as "42817"

"3/24/2017" (DateTime) to "3/24/2017" (Text) - success

"3/24/2017" (Text) to "20170324" (Whole Number) - "cannot change type"

Super User
Super User

@RMDNA

In Edit Query Add a Custom Column:

if Text.Range(Text.From([Date]),2,1)="/" then Text.End(Text.From([Date]),4) & Text.Start(Text.From([Date]),2) & Text.Range(Text.From([Date]),3,2) else Text.End(Text.From([Date]),4) & "0" & Text.Start(Text.From([Date]),1) & Text.Range(Text.From([Date]),2,2)

In my Sample: Date is the Date Field with the Format DD/MM/YYYY

DateFormat.png

Finally Change the Column Type to Whole Number

Lima - Peru
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

RMDNA Senior Member

Fantastic - that turned it into a number.

Now, how would I create a page filter of "Table1.[value] is greater than or equal to Table2.[value]?"  The two items are the relationship keys.

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @RMDNA,

Create a column using the following DAX, then drag the column to Page level filters and set the value of the column to 1.

Column = IF(Table1[DateColumn]>RELATED(Table2[DateColumn]),1,0)

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
RMDNA Senior Member

When creating the column I get the following error:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Name", each if(Table1[CurrentDate]>RELATED("table 2"[StartDate]),1,0))

(Expression.SyntaxError: Token Right Paren Expected   ^ )

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @RMDNA,

Right-Click your table in Report View, then select "New column" and apply my DAX code.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RMDNA Senior Member

Doing so tells me that the expression "related" isn't recognized.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom.1",
each if("TABLE 1"[Date1]>RELATED("TABLE 2"[RefreshDate])) then 1 else 0)