Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AliceInChains
Frequent Visitor

DateIF Help

Hi There,

I have worked out the average between two date columns (i.e. Average length of tenancy for x records based on Todays Date) using the follwoing base calculation in DAX:

nDays = if( [Tenancy Start Date]<>Blank(), (DATEDIFF( [Tenancy Start Date], TODAY(),DAY)),Blank())
/* Used to calculate the days difference between two dates … this is required for aggregation summaries */

I then take the average of nDays

mDays = average(ndays) 

I want to return the results as XX Years YY Months and ZZ Days

I can do thsi in Excel using 

=DATEDIF(0,D6,"y")&" Years "&DATEDIF(0,D6,"ym")&" Months "&DATEDIF(0,D6,"md")&" days"

Example:

DOBTodayDatedif 
14/12/19618/12/201720448 
15/12/19618/12/201720447 
16/12/19718/12/201716794 
17/12/19808/12/201713505 
 Average 17798.548 Years 8 Months 22 days

It appears that DAX does not support "ym" and "md" .... If I use only "Month" and "Day" i get the wrong result.

DAX Version

MeanDays =
Concatenate (DATEDIFF(0,(AVERAGE([nDays])),YEAR) & " Years ", CONCATENATE(DATEDIFF(0,(AVERAGE([nDays])),MONTH) & " Months ", DATEDIFF(0,(AVERAGE([nDays])),DAY) & " Days "))

Can anyone help?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you I will give it a go ... is thsi writtin in DAX? If I sole I will post... Cheers

View solution in original post

Based on:

Formulas:

TodaysDate      = FORMAT(TODAY(),"mm/dd/yyyy")

Years              = FLOOR(YEARFRAC(Source[StartDate],[TodaysDate]),1)

Months           = FLOOR(MOD(YEARFRAC(Source[StartDate],[TodaysDate]),1) * 12.0,1)

Days              = SWITCH(DAY(Source[StartDate]) > DAY([TodaysDate]),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH([TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY(Source[StartDate])) + (DAY([TodaysDate])),

FALSE(), (DAY([TodaysDate])-DAY(Source[StartDate])))

Avg Length =

var a = average('T 1'[Column1])

var y = INT(a / 365)

var m = int(divide(Mod(a, 365),30))

var d = int(mod(mod(a, 365), 30))

return format(y, "####") & " Years " & format(m, "####") & " months " & format(d, "####") & " days"

The code below takes the Start Date and compares with Todays date and the difference is returned via the final field ctYMD in the format “nnn Years nn Month nn Days” I did this so when sorting “all is good” … I also embellished it to consider singular/plural for Year(s), Month(s) Day(s)…

The Fields in Red & Blue can be substituted for your own…

**********************************************************************************************

ctYears =

IF(AND(([Tenancy Start Date]) <> BLANK(),

FLOOR(YEARFRAC([Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)=1),

Concatenate (Format((FLOOR(YEARFRAC

([Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)),"000")," Year "),

TODAY()),1)>1),

Concatenate (Format((FLOOR(YEARFRAC(

[Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)),"000")," Years "),

TODAY()),1)=0),

[Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)),"000")," Years "))))

/* Nested if statements that first check that Tenancy Start Date is not Blank then calculates the number of years and applies the appropriate Singular/Plural of Year(s) to the text returned */

***********************************************************************************************

ctMonths =

(FLOOR(MOD(YEARFRAC([Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)*12,1))=1),

Concatenate (Format((FLOOR(MOD(YEARFRAC([Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)*12,1)),"00")," Month "),

TODAY()),1)*12,1))>1),

TODAY()),1)*12,1)),"00")," Months "),

TODAY()),1)*12,1))=0),

TODAY()),1)*12,1)),"00")," Months "))))

/* Nested if statements that first check that Tenancy Start Date is not Blank then calculates the number of months and applies the appropriate Singular/Plural of Year(s) to the text returned */

ctDays =

IF(AND(([Tenancy Start Date]) <> BLANK(),         (SWITCH(DAY([Tenancy Start Date]) > DAY(TODAY()),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date]))))=1),

(Concatenate (Format((SWITCH(DAY([Tenancy Start Date]) > DAY(TODAY()),

TRUE(),(DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date])))),"00")," Day")),

(SWITCH(DAY([Tenancy Start Date]) > DAY(TODAY()),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date]))))>1),

TRUE(),(DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date])))),"00")," Days")),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date]))))

=0),

TRUE(),(DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date])))),"00")," Days")))))

/* Nested if statements that first check that Tenancy Start Date is not Blank then calculates the number of days and applies the appropriate Singular/Plural of Year(s) to the text returned */

ctYMD =

CONCATENATE( [ctYears],

CONCATENATE( [ctMonths], [ctDays]))

/* Concatenate ctYears, ctMonths and ctDays to arrive at the format nnn Years nn Months nn Days */

To calculate Summary Data use the following when aggregating…

nDays = if( [Tenancy Start Date]<>Blank(), (DATEDIFF( [Tenancy Start Date], TODAY(),DAY)),Blank())

/* Used to calculate the days difference between two dates … this is required for aggregation summaries */

MeanDays =

format(INT((average('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])) / 365), "000") & " Years " &

format(INT(divide(Mod((average('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365),30)), "00") & " Months " &

format(INT(mod(mod((average('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365), 30)), "00") & " Days"

/* Converts average nDays into XXX Years XX Months XX Days */

MedianDays =

format(INT((Median('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])) / 365), "000") & " Years " &

format(INT(divide(Mod((Median('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365),30)), "00") & " Months " &

format(INT(mod(mod((Median('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365), 30)), "00") & " Days"

/* Converts Medain nDays into XXX Years XX Months XX Days */

Output:

xxxYears xxMonths xxDays.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

here is something you can do, just a guideline, you can tweak as you see fit,

add new measure called "Average Length"

Avg Length = 
var y = INT(a / 365)
return format(y, "####") & " Years " & format(m, "####") & " months " & format(d, "####") & " days"

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you I will give it a go ... is thsi writtin in DAX? If I sole I will post... Cheers

Based on:

Formulas:

TodaysDate      = FORMAT(TODAY(),"mm/dd/yyyy")

Years              = FLOOR(YEARFRAC(Source[StartDate],[TodaysDate]),1)

Months           = FLOOR(MOD(YEARFRAC(Source[StartDate],[TodaysDate]),1) * 12.0,1)

Days              = SWITCH(DAY(Source[StartDate]) > DAY([TodaysDate]),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH([TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY(Source[StartDate])) + (DAY([TodaysDate])),

FALSE(), (DAY([TodaysDate])-DAY(Source[StartDate])))

Avg Length =

var y = INT(a / 365)

The code below takes the Start Date and compares with Todays date and the difference is returned via the final field ctYMD in the format “nnn Years nn Month nn Days” I did this so when sorting “all is good” … I also embellished it to consider singular/plural for Year(s), Month(s) Day(s)…

The Fields in Red & Blue can be substituted for your own…

**********************************************************************************************

ctYears =

TODAY()),1)=1),

Concatenate (Format((FLOOR(YEARFRAC

([Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)),"000")," Year "),

TODAY()),1)>1),

[Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)),"000")," Years "),

TODAY()),1)=0),

[Tenancy Start Date],

TODAY()),1)),"000")," Years "))))

/* Nested if statements that first check that Tenancy Start Date is not Blank then calculates the number of years and applies the appropriate Singular/Plural of Year(s) to the text returned */

***********************************************************************************************

ctMonths =

TODAY()),1)*12,1))=1),

TODAY()),1)*12,1)),"00")," Month "),

TODAY()),1)*12,1))>1),

TODAY()),1)*12,1)),"00")," Months "),

TODAY()),1)*12,1))=0),

TODAY()),1)*12,1)),"00")," Months "))))

/* Nested if statements that first check that Tenancy Start Date is not Blank then calculates the number of months and applies the appropriate Singular/Plural of Year(s) to the text returned */

ctDays =

IF(AND(([Tenancy Start Date]) <> BLANK(),         (SWITCH(DAY([Tenancy Start Date]) > DAY(TODAY()),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date]))))=1),

TRUE(),(DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date])))),"00")," Day")),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date]))))>1),

TRUE(),(DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date])))),"00")," Days")),

TRUE(), (DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date]))))

=0),

TRUE(),(DAY(EOMONTH('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate],-1)) - DAY([Tenancy Start Date])) + (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])),FALSE(), (DAY('Property and Admin Unit'[TodaysDate])-DAY([Tenancy Start Date])))),"00")," Days")))))

/* Nested if statements that first check that Tenancy Start Date is not Blank then calculates the number of days and applies the appropriate Singular/Plural of Year(s) to the text returned */

ctYMD =

CONCATENATE( [ctYears],

CONCATENATE( [ctMonths], [ctDays]))

/* Concatenate ctYears, ctMonths and ctDays to arrive at the format nnn Years nn Months nn Days */

To calculate Summary Data use the following when aggregating…

MeanDays =

format(INT((average('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])) / 365), "000") & " Years " &

format(INT(divide(Mod((average('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365),30)), "00") & " Months " &

format(INT(mod(mod((average('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365), 30)), "00") & " Days"

/* Converts average nDays into XXX Years XX Months XX Days */

MedianDays =

format(INT((Median('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])) / 365), "000") & " Years " &

format(INT(divide(Mod((Median('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365),30)), "00") & " Months " &

format(INT(mod(mod((Median('Property and Admin Unit'[nDays])), 365), 30)), "00") & " Days"

/* Converts Medain nDays into XXX Years XX Months XX Days */

Output:

xxxYears xxMonths xxDays.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.