Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

DateDiff Calculation Issue/Bug?

Hi All, 

I have two calculated columns and they are giving me surprising different results for a simple datediff function:

Days to Expire = DATEDIFF([Today],SQLViewName[Expiration Date],DAY)

Expiration Status = IF(SQLViewName[Expiration Date]=BLANK(),"NA",IF(SQLViewName[Days to Expire]<0,"Expired",IF(SQLViewName[Days to Expire]<=29,"Expiring in <30 days",IF(SQLViewName[Days to Expire]<=59,"Expiring in <60 days","Expiring in >=60 days"))))

Row 1 is for some weird reason showing "Days to Expire" as 50 days to expire (when it should be 25 days like row 2 & 3) ... The "Expiration Status" column correctly categorizes but "Days to Expire" has it wrong!

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So a colleague helped me realize that the value was being summarized! I had to select 'Don't Summarize' and it resolved the issue. Still trying to understand what field(s) was it picking to summarize on as each rows were different in some attributes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cyclist007 ,

I was not able to replicate this problem on my side. Please clear the cache and refresh dataset for a try. And make sure your Power BI desktop is updated to the latest version.

If problem persists, would you share the sample .pbix file for check. Do mask sensitive data before sharing.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yeah its not easily replicable as i also see this happening for only one-off cases. Have tried changing the connection to an Excel file (after exporting data to excel ... the formula works fine in Excel so data is not corrupted) but still shows incorrectly in just one of the calculated columns i Power BI Desktop (Aug 2018 Report server version - cannot upgrade as client is using same version). 

@v-yulgu-msft 

How does one clear Cache?

So a colleague helped me realize that the value was being summarized! I had to select 'Don't Summarize' and it resolved the issue. Still trying to understand what field(s) was it picking to summarize on as each rows were different in some attributes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.