Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powermx

DateADD Function not returning dates correctly

My table appears to have contiguous dates.  I am trying to compare the sum of charges from my current month as of a specific date to a prior month for the same time frame.  For example, I want to compare charges from 11/1 - 11/21 to prior month 10/1 - 10/21.  My date add function is returning the sum for all dates in my prior month (10/1 - 10/31).  Not sure how to get around this.  Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
powermx

Thanks for your responses!  I was able to find the solution to my formula.  I was not using the ENDOFMONTH function which was causing the problem.  My formula is shown below.  It is now working appropriately, and giving me the prior month MTD charges comparable to the date in the current month I am viewing.  Eg. Nov 15 MTD charges are now comparable to Oct 15 MTD charges.  Keep in mind that this formula only produces charges as of the current month end date.  So if you had total charges for the month of September as of 9/30, it would only give you comparable charges as of 8/30 (not for the full month of August).  However, if I did have total charges as of 7/31, it would produce for the previous month, total MTD charges as of 6/30.    

PrevMTDCharges = TOTALMTD([TotalCharges],DATEADD(ENDOFMONTH('Calendar'[Date]),-1,MONTH))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
powermx

Thanks for your responses!  I was able to find the solution to my formula.  I was not using the ENDOFMONTH function which was causing the problem.  My formula is shown below.  It is now working appropriately, and giving me the prior month MTD charges comparable to the date in the current month I am viewing.  Eg. Nov 15 MTD charges are now comparable to Oct 15 MTD charges.  Keep in mind that this formula only produces charges as of the current month end date.  So if you had total charges for the month of September as of 9/30, it would only give you comparable charges as of 8/30 (not for the full month of August).  However, if I did have total charges as of 7/31, it would produce for the previous month, total MTD charges as of 6/30.    

PrevMTDCharges = TOTALMTD([TotalCharges],DATEADD(ENDOFMONTH('Calendar'[Date]),-1,MONTH))

Thanks! You solved an issue I was having!

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@powermx

You must have a seperate date table for DATEADD to work correctly. If you are pulling your dates from your fact table you will encounter errors. All Time intelligence calculations require a seperate date dimension table.

See this link for more information:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/time-intelligence-in-power-bi-desktop/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

guyzoo

Hi @powermx,

could you please, share your formula?

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.