Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Date vs. date hierarchy slicer preventing proper filtering?

Hi all,

Running into someting weird here. I have some event dates (Start Date) with some attributes (Measure 1 and Count 1). When I filter on Event Date using the "between" slicer at the top, it filters the dates in the left table just fine.

success.PNG

However, when I use in a slicer that's formatted to use the hierarchy on the right, something goes wrong. It filters the middle table of just the dates properly. For the table on the left, it sets the values from the other years as 0, but it doesn't actually filter them out. 

failure.PNG

Both slicers are using the exact same field. Is it the presence of the measures? I wouldn't think they'd be able to impact filtering, since they're on the many side of a single-direction 1:many relationship.

I'm trying to figure out how to anonymize this to upload, but it would take a while. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Without the data set, or sample data, taking a shot in the dark....

If you remove 'Measure 1' from the table, does it work properly with only 'Count 1' remaining?  (I'm Guessing) the Measure calcuation is still returning Zero (instead of blank or null) when taking your '2018' selection into account.  And those Zeros are still being displayed (as opposed to a Blank or Null that would auto hide?)

Again, just a total guess.  If that doesn't help, try to duplciate the problem with fake data you can share, so we can take a look.  Forrest

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Without the data set, or sample data, taking a shot in the dark....

If you remove 'Measure 1' from the table, does it work properly with only 'Count 1' remaining?  (I'm Guessing) the Measure calcuation is still returning Zero (instead of blank or null) when taking your '2018' selection into account.  And those Zeros are still being displayed (as opposed to a Blank or Null that would auto hide?)

Again, just a total guess.  If that doesn't help, try to duplciate the problem with fake data you can share, so we can take a look.  Forrest

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

That worked. Turns out they have to explicitly be BLANK( ) rather than any other option. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.