Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Smokey24
Helper I
Helper I

Date variables with custom calender (show last 3 week, show last 3 months etc.)

Hi all,

I am using a 5-4-4 calender and would need some help with date variables for charts.

For example if I have a bar chart I want it to only show me the last 6 months (the current month should be excluded).

So given the current month is April I want the chart to show me March, Feb, Jan, Dec, Nov, Oct.

The same with weeks, I want to have the last 12 weeks excluding the current one.

Since using a custom calender I can't use time intelligence. 

Do you guys have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Would need sample data, but you should be able to create a column in your date table for how many weeks/months etc in the past each day is and then you could simply filter for > 0 and < 6 for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Would need sample data, but you should be able to create a column in your date table for how many weeks/months etc in the past each day is and then you could simply filter for > 0 and < 6 for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, I had the same idea and tried it. 

It works! I created a month sequence starting from my mindate up to my maxdate and created Variables.

One MaxMonth (should be current month) and MinMonth (is MaxMonth -x) just said in the Date Calender, if the month sequence is between MaxMonth-x and MaxMonth-1 give me a 1 else a 0.

Then I use this Variables in a measure.

Took me quite a while to think about it, but actually it's pretty easy.

So it's quite similar to your suggestion I just saw.

Thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.