Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pstanek
Post Patron
Post Patron

Date - too slow calculation

Hi, I have column with date format,  because of that reports are too slow.

I created two slicers from that column, but  It has to calculate it from milions rows, that delays report calculation.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @pstanek,

If you only use certain dates for the dashboard you are trying to create, it is maybe better to filter them out in the "Query Editor" than to try to filter them out with a slicer.

I  only create report in power Bi for others, so I use no additional slicer in Query Editor. Problem is that calculated column

Year=YEAR('Table'[Date]) ,Month=MONTH('Table'[Date])  are too slow ,when I have Slicers Year, Month. 

It calculates so long only to say we have months 1-12. It should se useful to have calendar in power bi.

Is there custom visual - calendar slicer, that does not need to be feed by data?

Example  when you use sql  you can set up time interval without using data. It uses data only after slicer is set up. not to calculate him.

It is useless to wait long time only to know we have 12 months   by calculating Month(date). I can declare month immediately

I have an idea, but I do not know if it is possible. I would like to know  declare  order calculation of visuals.

For example  I would like to let slicers to be calculated first and other visuals after that. Not other visuals calculated before setting up slicers

I don't see any reason why those columns would make anything slow. I use columns just like that. I'm certain the problem is something else. You didn't answer my question about table relationships.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I use single -(Direction 1 to N) most of time. but I cannot see how it can influcence slicer, Because it use only one parameter.

The number of rows should not cause that kind of performance issue. Do you have relationships between tables with "Both" as the direction?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

BeemsC
Resolver III
Resolver III

This is probably a performance issue.
If you are not using a lot of the dates, it might be an idea to filter them out

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.