Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date table is not filtering the related table

Hi all,

I have created the date Table and related the date column of date table to dateofpurchase column of Purchase table.
And marked Date as Date table and data type of the date column and dateofpurchase column to Date.
But when i try to filter the data from dateofpurchase column ,date column in date table is dispalying the blank values even though both the tables are related.
I am not getting what step I have missed out.
Screenshot (94).png
Kindly help on this.

Thanks
Vannikannan.k
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Couple possibilities. One, check your filter direction on your relationship to make sure it is the right direction. Second possibility is that one of your dates contains time stamps that are other than midnight. True date only columns have a time component that is 0, which is midnight but if your dates in your fact table have a real time component other than midnight, they won't match up.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply I have used Crossfiltering and changed the Data type of the Dateofpurchase from Date/Time to Date even though I am not getting the data filtered.
Because I  have data in Dateofpurchase column like 19-01-2017 15:40:05,19-01-2017 15:44:31 where as Data of my date table has 19-01-2017 00:00:00.
So when I try to filter the data using the date table even after changing the datatype from date/time to date its not happening.
Is there any solution to handle the time.

Thanks
Vannikannan.k

Hi vannikannan ,

After you change Date/Time to Date type, can you build relationship between the two tables? If still can't, you may create a calculate column use 

Result = Format(Table[Column],"MMYY")

Or 

Result = Date(Table[Column])

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi vannikannan,

As mentioned above, this may caused by something wrong with your table relationship. Could you share some screenshots of your table structure and relationship?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Please use "Cross Filter Direction" as "Both" in your Data Model

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Couple possibilities. One, check your filter direction on your relationship to make sure it is the right direction. Second possibility is that one of your dates contains time stamps that are other than midnight. True date only columns have a time component that is 0, which is midnight but if your dates in your fact table have a real time component other than midnight, they won't match up.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never have guessed that date table will not match with Date/Time column in Fact table if time is other then midnight. I was banging my head against the wall for some time trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.