Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date spacing in graphs

Hi All,

My company uses a generic date field that lists like Friday, March 20, 2020.  When I put this into a graph based off monthly data it spaces is out very nicely by listing every 3rd month or so.  Like below:

date1.PNG

When it comes to daily data though it throws in every date making the graph unreadable.  So, I created a Month Year date column.  I used a simple format to pull Month as 'MMM' and Year out of the date field.  When I throw that into the graph lumping the daily data together it shows every single month like so:

date2.PNG

My simple question is this: is there any way to space it out or tell the graph to not list every date?  I'd like it to mirror or act like the first example as its a page of graphs and they all look like the first except for the last one which looks above.  Then it looks out of place obviously.  Is it possible? When looking through the fields in the graph for the axis it doesn't appear so.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right - I did have my column set to Text - forgot to categorize it after I created it.  I changed it to a Date and it works as the others do now.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your "Month Year" column should be a text data type, and you cannot make changes to its display, so you should use a date type column. Maybe you can set as below:

xx3.PNG

Or use the date hierarchy feature?

xx4.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right - I did have my column set to Text - forgot to categorize it after I created it.  I changed it to a Date and it works as the others do now.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you using a continuous or categorical x-axis?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.