Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jc508
Frequent Visitor

Date slicer needs to be able to use regional formats

I have database column [Ordered Date] of type Date
when used in a Slicer visualisation in Power BI Desktop it displays correcly im my regional settings (dd/mm/yyyy)
However when published it changes to american format mm/dd/yyyy
I cant find any way to alter this behaviour. Other posts suggest it is a browser dependant issue but I see the same results in Firefox, Edge, IE

Any suggestions ?

Thanks JC

5 REPLIES 5
rdeh71

Does anyone know a fix for this yet ? Our report users are non technical and getting them to fiddle with browser settings is not an option.  

I am finding that the date format is altered to US on the desktop now as well. The underlying data is showing UK, the settings in the options for the report is showing english uk, but the slicer still shows US dates.  This actually is a serious bug as users will be misreading the dates....

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jc508,

In Power BI Desktop, it takes the date format of local machine.
1.PNG

In Power BI service, it takes the date format of language setting in browser. You can change the language in your browser and then setting the Power BI Service language to default.

Here is a similar thread for your reference: Date format changing desktop to web

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Yuliana

unfortunately this doesn't work for me. 

Edge has no defalt language and uses the computers setting (Australian)

Firefox is set to English (en)   ie not to US

but the slider still shows US format dates in the BI Service

JC

Hi @jc508

What if you change the format of your date column when using DAX

Another option is to ensure that your IE language settings are set to Australian?

format([Ordered Date], "dd/mm/yyyy")

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Changing the format actually makes it a text column (not date) so the slicer loses its slider bars 😞

I have to do this in the 'cube' as when using SSAS data there is almost nothing that can be changed at presentation (power-Bi) end

I just tested Chrome and it behaves properly - then went back and explicitely added 'English / Australian' to firefox and now it works too.  (so who knows what genereric 'English' actually meant - it was listed differently from 'English US' ??)

So thanks to all its fixed except I have to get all my users to fiddle with their broswer settings.

JC

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.