Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kirt1965
Helper III
Helper III

Date slicer a week at a time?

Hello all,

I am working with timecard data.  Every record has a week ending date on it.  We want to allow showing results based only on full week increments.  If I create a date slicer based off the week ending date, it still allows selecting any date that is not a week ending date.  In other words, it presents all dates in the range from earliest to latest.  What we want is to only allow choosing week ending dates.

How might we go about doing this?

TY in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kirt1965
Helper III
Helper III

The solution is there's no solution.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Hazenm
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is an old thread but in case anyone else is looking for an answer here, I came up with a quasi-solution. 

Create one column that is "Fiscal Year - Week" 

'Period Table'[Fiscal Year] & FORMAT('Period Table'[Week Number],"00")

Format this as a "Whole Number"  - this allows it to be a slider. This is funky because you have 53 - 99 that are empty, but it allows for the slider. 
And then create another column that is the exact same, but format this one as text. Use this text version on charts so that you don't show the empty 53 - 99 weeks on your charts when you are spanning across the years. 

Obviously, the original question was how to format as "Date Ending" - which you can only do categorically, and not continuous (which is the requirement for the slider). Don't have an answer there, unfortunately! But for me, this solves my main issue, which was: How do I allow users to easily select multiple fiscal week views that span across fiscal years, without having them to check a box for every single week. Definitely slightly funky with empty weeks on the slider, but users get over it quickly. 
Kirt1965
Helper III
Helper III

The solution is there's no solution.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kirt1965,

I assume you are using date  range slider for your ending dates.

If you don't want the dropdown,

you can use week number instead of ending dates in slider?

Hope this helps.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Kirt1965 

It is not possibel with the normal slicer. 

you need to get the below slicer and use the week date column.

pranit828_1-1615588835158.png

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Kirt1965 

As you already have week ending data.

Use the slicer to display a dropdown instead of slider on the week ending column.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Thank you for the reply.  I should have been more clear.  I am aware I can display as a drop down.  I'm specifically asking how I could achieve the effect with the slider.  If it cannot be done with the standard slider, is there an alternative one available I could use?

Have you tried adding a column to your timecard data?  You already have the last day of the week...add a column that calculates the week of the year WEEKNUM() (probably your fiscal year depending on how your company does it).  Then make the slider based on that.

You can use this to create your column:  

WeekNum = WEEKNUM(<your-date-field>)

I just gave this a try and it works fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.