Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JustinDoh1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Date range slicer (or other data range user interface) to be updated automatically

I am posting this question again (3rd time) because I did not get solution for my issue.

I am trying to apply Date Range slicer as below, and I would like this to be updated automatically.

The point is, it does not have to be exactly same user interface as a 'slicer', but as long as user can input date range, that would fulfill the requirement. But, I would like the date ranges that show up automatically updated when there is a data refresh.

In this case, I would like to have 14 days date range interval from today reflected automatically when there is a data refresh.

JustinDoh1_1-1626197516277.png

I have a "Filter on this visual" coded so that it does get updated fine:

JustinDoh1_2-1626197601528.png

JustinDoh1_3-1626197682143.png

The issue is Date Range for user does not get adjusted for the date interval of 14 days automatically.

Is there other way to get this done (with that slicer or using other method)?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @JustinDoh1,

have you enabled the following option?

"Don't allow end user to save filters on this report."

Persistent Filters.png 

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

@mwegener I was expecting the date range starts from 6/29/2021, but it still stays at 6/28/2021 this morning (after daily data refresh). I don't think it would suffice my requirement... Thanks!

JustinDoh1_0-1626278863724.png

Hi @JustinDoh1 ,

is the selection cleared on the slicer?

clear selection.png

It is important that the slicer has not saved any preselection and only displays the value range set via the filter. Therefore, users should not be able to save slicer/filter settings.

@mwegener Thank you again! (and for your prompt response). I don't see that option on Slicer itself, but I see "Clear Filter" option in  "14 Days Reports" measure. So, I cleared the filter.

JustinDoh1_1-1626284938481.png

JustinDoh1_2-1626285195936.png

After clearing filter:

JustinDoh1_3-1626285267405.png

JustinDoh1_0-1626284828451.png

But, I see this behavior. Even though the slicer moves by itself, the date range (ex: 6/27/2021) does not seem to get adjusted, but that was my requirement...

I modified the slicer so that I do not use the measure anymore. Now I see "Clear Filter" option is available on Slicer itself. But, when I clear it, it obvisously cleared the visual (it displays all avialable date range).

JustinDoh1_4-1626286355282.png

@mwegener Not sure how/whether it would suffice my requirement, but I just enabled it and republished to the service. But, would't it just the feature for report to stay where they were left off (by not having the option of going back to a default mode)? My requirement is having the date ranges automatically updated 14 days interval. Let me check tomorrow when data refreshs to check whether it makes sense or not. Thanks.

@mwegener I liked using "Relative date" filter (compared to using measure of last 14 days) as it has the option of "Clear selections". Only issue that I have is that the actual visual (or graph) does not reflect those date range (I guess since I cleared the selection). As you can see (on the bottom image illustration), it starts from the very beginning of data (early 2020). Reason I cleared the selection was so that this date range would be updated dynamically (for instance, it would be 7/3/2021 - 7/14/2021 tomorrow), correct? It is little bit not making sense why this date range would not be updated by itself if we do not clear the filter. Is there a way for graph be reflected based on the filter, and also date range be updated dynamically? Thanks.

JustinDoh1_0-1626369652294.png

Hi @JustinDoh1 ,

move the filter from "Filter on this visual" to "Filter on this page"

@mwegener Thank you so much for your feedback. I am learning new here. Unfortunately, by having "Filter on this page", available data to show is all limited to last 14 days, and it appears that date slicer would not move farther to the left (graph would not show prior to 14 days). My requirement is that the graph should not be limited to the date range slicer (which I have 14 prior days from today), but it can go older date. Here are what I am trying to accomplish: After daily data refresh, (#1) Graph should reflect last 14 days, (#2) date range slicer should dynamically adjust to last 14 days & (#3) user can enter different date prior to 14 days into the slicer and graph should be reflected accordingly. I am sorry for asking too much. I am just trying to see if it would work or not with what PowerBI can offer or whether any custom coding is required to meet these three requirements. Thank you!

JustinDoh1_0-1626392323388.png

JustinDoh1_1-1626392534353.png

Hi @JustinDoh1 ,

check this out, I just discovered it this week.

Customize default values for each user in Power BI reports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHlC55APxPs

@mwegener Thank you so much. I realized that the YouTube is about 35 min long, so I will watch it later, try to digest and apply with my issue if I can. At ths point, I don't know whether the video is relative to 'using a date table' (which I got some advice from other people at this point).

@mwegener I have created a new post with a Pbix file attached. If you can help me, that would be great. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.