Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date on x-axis - scatter plot

Hi guys, 

Having an issue with Scatter Plots and adding Date to X-Axis, my dataset is fairly simple. 

Cycle time.JPG

So just wanting to use the CycleTimeDays for the y-axis, CompletedDate on the x-axis.

Getting the error:

Capture.JPG

Any tips/workarounds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

“So if they were distinct (i.e. if i changed the data format back to have the timestamp) then it wouldn't be an issue?”

No.

In scatter chart, when you add non-numerical columns to the X axis, the Y axis is required to be aggregated (This is true even if your data does not contain duplicate rows.). 

If you add a numeric column to the X axis, you don't have to aggregate.( even if there are duplicate rows ).

fff9.PNGfff8.PNG

It may be because the Y-axis can only be numeric data and represent the size of the value in the chart, it is meaningless if it is not aggregated.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

bbb2.PNG

Since your CompletedDate column has duplicate values, the fields on the Y axis must be aggregated.

bbb3.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if they were distinct (i.e. if i changed the data format back to have the timestamp) then it wouldn't be an issue?

Hi @Anonymous ,

“So if they were distinct (i.e. if i changed the data format back to have the timestamp) then it wouldn't be an issue?”

No.

In scatter chart, when you add non-numerical columns to the X axis, the Y axis is required to be aggregated (This is true even if your data does not contain duplicate rows.). 

If you add a numeric column to the X axis, you don't have to aggregate.( even if there are duplicate rows ).

fff9.PNGfff8.PNG

It may be because the Y-axis can only be numeric data and represent the size of the value in the chart, it is meaningless if it is not aggregated.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

The workaround would be to explore some custom visuals, see if you can find one that meets your requirement.

Or refer to the error message and adjust four fields as suggested.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.