Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date names error in line and clustered Column chart

Hello,

How I can change the month name from French to English when using my Date column as the X axis in the line and clustered Column chart:

I have this column in Excel- the user uses French Date setting on the copmuter and it rules over my settings when I try to change it to US English in PBI:

Date'sFormat.jpg

However, when I check the Data view, in the table I see them  all in English:

Date'sFormatEnglish.jpg

My desired view should be all YYYY the same but Month name changed to English!:

Thank you for your help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally I sorted the issue with recreating the file in English US source file! 

Despite the suggestions of @dax  and @MFelix  Power BI keeps the same format as it comes with the source files and it's impossible to change them in the destination PBI files at all!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally I sorted the issue with recreating the file in English US source file! 

Despite the suggestions of @dax  and @MFelix  Power BI keeps the same format as it comes with the source files and it's impossible to change them in the destination PBI files at all!

Hi ,

Sorry but that is not entirely true, in my experience with PBI I have used files as datasources with settings in English, 2Dutch and Portuguese when I make the transfer to PBI my dates always assumed the English format.

The contrary is also true so PBI files made in a specific language when I open them in other machines they get the English or Portuguese accordingly to the local language set-up in PBI.

Believe that you also need to check the regional settings of your PBI file and general settings.

But glad you could solve your issue.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix  Thank you for the reply but I tried today an experiment with what @Anonymous  explained and got the same result as he claimed! I mean whatever the source file language setting has it will be the same in the destination PBI file and won't be possible to change!

I suggest you raise this issue to Microsoft support since you are a Super User so they notice and fix the glitch,

Thank you again,

bestmbaman

Hi  @Anonymous  and  @Anonymous ,

I have made the tests on my machine and was not abble to replicate what you are refering can you share some sample files?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix ,

Thank you for your response. Unofortunately, there is no way I can share the source files(no repl is helpful since my system at home is not similar to the sender's system)

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

One option can be to create and additional column based on your date table and force the month name on the format something similar to this:

English_Format=
FORMAT ( 'Calendar'[Date]; "YYYY " )
    & SWITCH (
        MONTH ( 'Calendar'[Date] );
        1; "January";
        2; "February";
        3; "March";
        12; "December"
    )

You may need to add a column to sort this one in the correct order.

Than use it as your axis.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelixThanks! as always you are helpful.

But a question: Why this happens? Does it happen because of the Windows version? Because we only have one PBI version as English US, right?

Also personally I have problem doing such thing because usually the date won't be sorted as desired (Imean for example in this case it needed to start from January 2017, Fenruary 2017...September 2019 and October 2019), and when the next month added what gonna happen? I once tried a similar solution but then the monthYear Ascending sort was a big issue and never solved!

Let me know your great opinion

Thank you

Hi @Anonymous ,

This issue as to do not with the PBI version but with the regional settings of the system, on desktop version or on web service the dates format assumes the language of the user settings, altough in the desktop version you can force to have it in english or any other language, in the web service it get's the information from the browser people are using, so if they have it in local language it will return that language in the visuals.

Concerning the sorting this depends on how your table is setup so if you have columns that are created (using DAX) from other columns it will get the sorting of the original column since it's dependent on it.

How were you creating the sorting column on your example?

Regards,

MFelix 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix Thank you for the reply!

However, as the screenshot showing clearly I don't have this issue when I check my Month column in Data view! I asked from my IT department today and they confirmed that all my settings in Windows and Network are English! besided I don't really want to impose another column to my tble and then play with it as it increase the risk of trouble in later updates of my gauges!

So please provide me a natural solution

@dax 

Also I request the PowerBI Community from microsoft see this post, how I can flag it to make them see it and give me a reliable solution?

Hi @Anonymous,

There's is no issue on your side or the model the question is related with the system of who is seeing the data not the model itself.

If the end users have their regional settings in Frenchwhat is made is the use of local language to be user friendly, if you put your PBI in French and the end user are in Dutch they will see it in Dutch not French.

Since you cannot force the end user to use the language you are using you need to create the corresponding value on your model forcing the language you want.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @MFelix ,

Please consider that I got this error on my own system not any others! This is the reason I got surprised as I described in my previous posts(please review them again). 

Bottom line question: How I can get rid of this issue and see all the months in English on my own system?

Hi @Anonymous,

Wjat is the system locale you have your computer settings?

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix Hi,

It's English US!

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Sepehr07,

Did you mean that when user set system region to French, it will show Frech date tyep in chart, but you want to show this in English, right? As I know, the date type in powerbi is based on your machine's region date format. So if you want to show this always in English, I suggest you could create an another column to show date, but change column's data type to text, use this in chart,then it should work.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a great question!

may be @Ashish_Mathur  or @MFelix  can help with their great replies if only they feel like

Hope at least one of them find this mentions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.