Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Frixel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Date hierarchy online vs desktop

Hello,

What is the difference between the online version and the desktop version in terms of date hierarchy?

In the deck version I do get the date hierarchy, but not in the online version.
I would like to use the online version because I also see the file that is on sharepoint / one-drive real-time changes.

If I do the desktop version I do have the date hierarchy but if it is published to online version I can only create 7 times a day to refresh.

Ultimately, my goal is to get today's date from the file only.

Desktop version.

3-7-2020 11-56-14.png

Online version.

3-7-2020 11-59-50.png

I hope you understand what i mean.

Dektop have the date hierarchie so i can only see the date from today but can`t refresh every hour.

Online can refresh every hour bus i cant create a date hierarchie so i see only the date of today.

Is it posible so i have both? 

And the day of today and refresh the report every hour or less.

Thanks so far.

28 REPLIES 28

Hi @Frixel ,

As I refered previously I believe that your error is related with regional settings of the excel file and of the web service.

Are you able to open the excel file on office online? If so can you check if when you open the file on the online version you have a date or a text value? Just add a column with YEAR(A1) and check if it returns the year value or if it gives an error.

When refering to this type of issues is very hard to pin point the cause because you have the following differente settings working:

• Computer regional settings
  • PBIX file regional settings
  • PBI service regional settings
  • Source file regional settings

Some may be conflicting with others without we realizing it.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix 

When i make a .csv file like this, and i load it in the online service version,

1.png

i have this back.

2.png

Is thak oke?

Hi @MFelix @v-deddai1-msft 

Oke, i changed the regional settings in my system.

1.png

Now when i have the .csv file en set the format on English i have the "relative date"filter but now te date is in wrong format (reverse) in power bi table.

2.png

If i set the settings to dutch then the date is in right format but then there is not a "relative date" filter.

3.png

What can i dow now?

Hi @Frixel ,

I believe that your issue is not related with your local settings, is on the settings of the web service and the onedrive.

This is written in a lot of posts where people setup their files with the local settings for example French dates (dd/mm/yyyy) and when they upload to the service the dates are assumed in American date format  (mm/dd/yyyy). However since the files are treated in the deskopt when the information is uploaded in the service the date is recognized as date and only change the format.

In your case since you are making a direct connection to the onedrive I assume he is recognizing as a text format and not a date.

Without having access to the information is difficult.

I don't understand why you want to have the Onedrive connection and not the schedulle refresh.

I believe that this is my fault since I believe I'm not making my speech clear. as refered by @v-deddai1-msft  try to post the issue on the issues forum.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix 

I'm going to try to get it on the issue forum.

Your question

I don't understand why you want to have the Onedrive connection and not the schedulle refresh.

is because it is almost refreshed when an adjustment is made to the source file.
If I do it with the "schedulle refresh" then I can specify only 7 times while I don't know when changes are made to the file.

Hi @Frixel,

I always think that the date field in your data source was not recognized as a date during the import process.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @Frixel ,

Please report this as an Issue using issues.powerbi.com.  first check to see if it has already been reported.  

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

I actually don't know how to do that and even more difficult how to describe (my) problem.
Is it a system problem or is it my (PC-Settings) problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.