Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Frixel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Date hierarchy online vs desktop

Hello,

What is the difference between the online version and the desktop version in terms of date hierarchy?

In the deck version I do get the date hierarchy, but not in the online version.
I would like to use the online version because I also see the file that is on sharepoint / one-drive real-time changes.

If I do the desktop version I do have the date hierarchy but if it is published to online version I can only create 7 times a day to refresh.

Ultimately, my goal is to get today's date from the file only.

Desktop version.

3-7-2020 11-56-14.png

Online version.

3-7-2020 11-59-50.png

I hope you understand what i mean.

Dektop have the date hierarchie so i can only see the date from today but can`t refresh every hour.

Online can refresh every hour bus i cant create a date hierarchie so i see only the date of today.

Is it posible so i have both? 

And the day of today and refresh the report every hour or less.

Thanks so far.

28 REPLIES 28
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Frixel ,

First of all the Date Hierarchy isn't related with the filtering, meaning the Date Hierarchy that you see on the desktop version is related with the option that you have turn on of Auto Date/time that creates an hidden table for purposes of time inteliggence, this is just a visual way of presenting data.

Regarding the filtering that is done on the Date they work in the same way both on desktop as in the service, I have tested on my workspace and when editing reports on the service the relative date is available.

Are you sure the date column is correctly formatted in the service? Have you uploaded the file from the desktop to the service or created the report directly on the service connecting it to onedrive?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix 

It is the same file for service and desktop. The file is located on onedrive.

I created the report directly on the service connecting it to onedrive only then i have the option to refresh every hour.

When i uploaded the file from the desktop to the service the i have that option not and only refresh 7 times a day.

Hi @Frixel ,

We are talking about to different problems:

1. Refresh is limited on Pro versions to 7 times a day, if you have premium you can go up to 48 times. The difference between linking it from the service directly or going from desktop is that for the desktop you need to login on the one drive on the parameters and then make the schedulling.

2. The filter should allow you to selected the relative date slicer no matter what.

I believe that this is related with the way you have the regional settings of the file, and when you pick up the file on the service it does not assume the correct date.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

But why do I have a date hierarchy in the desktop version and not in the service version when I use the same file for both and from the same place?

Hi @Frixel ,

As I refered previously, that is because of the Auto Date/time option that is only set on PBI desktop the web version does not have that option.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

okay, thanks for your response.
Do you know if it is and how it is possible to get only today's date in the service version?

@Frixel ,

Has I refered best option is to create all the report on the desktop and then just make the turn on the onedrive connection after uploading file to service.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

If I do what you suggest then i will not get the "onedrive" connection at the settings but only the scheduled refresh option.

Do i something wrong?

If you are getting the schedulle refresh is because it's connected to onedrive.

Offline files don't allow schedulle refresh.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

Yes i know, i have this schedule then when i set from desktop to the service.

444-7-2020 08-29-20.png

But i want This shedule when i make report in desktop and i publish it to service.

44-7-2020 11-31-15.png

As referred the formatting is your issue that is the workaround or you need to setup the formating of the file in the onedrive in a different way so the date is recognized. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

But what do I have to adjust in the file or settings?

As you see in "Field" of the service version, these are from the same file.
On the left the file has been imported in servive version via "get data" (and then i have a one drive connector) but then I don't have a date hierarchy.
On the right the same file has entered the service version via the desktop version and then there is a date hierarchy. (Then there is no onedrive connector)

1.png

2.png

And only with the date hierarchie i have the "Relative date" that i needed.

3.png

I hope you understand what i want and what i mean.

Hi @Frixel ,

As mentioned by MFelix, It will not create date hierarchy in power bi service when you load the file to power bi service. Based on my test, we can use relative time filter without date hierarchy . It  depends on the date type in your source file:

Capture.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

But how do i get it into Power Bi Service so it refreshed immediately by the onedrive connector.

when i puplished this into the service version i can only refresh 7 times a day with the scheduled but want refreshed it with the onedrive connector.(like this one) 

1.png

Hi @Frixel ,

Please check the data type for the date column in your source file in onedrive for business.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

The format for that colomn is "Date" 

Thats correct?

Hi @Frixel ,

What‘s your source file?

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

I used different source. Mostly .csv files but i have also a .xlsx file.

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

I don`t understand it.

When i "Get Data" in service version en connect to .XLSX sharepoint and i fil NO date in colomn date then i have YES a  "relative date"

When i fill a date in the colomn then i have NOT a "relative date"

1.png

I also have try the cell formatting changed to: "general" or "Date" or "Text" 

I don't understand it at all and can't get it out.
What am I doing wrong?

Hi @v-deddai1-msft  @MFelix 

I checked it also with a (test) .csv

When there is no date in the file i have a "Relative date" filter but when i put one date in the file the "Relative date" is gone.

How do i get a "relative date" in there with date in the file? 

1.png

=================================================================

2.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.