Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date hierarchy missing

Hey community!

Date hierarchy isn't showing for my Exit Date field. It is tied to a Date dimension as Many:1 single direction active relationship and it's the correct data type "Date" but the calendar/date hierarchy doesn't show. I have read through all the other posts about this but none of them solve my issue.

The only reason I can think this is happening is due to the table being a calculated table based off another table (also, connected to the Date Dimension). As you can see, none of my date fields come up with a hierarchy in this table. Any other ideas?

Exit Date.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous yes it is intended behaviour, in this case you will use date field from date table to work in your visuals.

In my original reply I mentioned if there is relationship on this field, it will not show hierarchy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you check if under option you have turned of "Auto Date/Time", also the field on whcih you have relatonship it will not show hierarchy for that even "Auto Date/Time" is on.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k I did have "Auto Date/Time" checked under Options. I have unchecked it, and nothing has changed.

@Anonymous it need to be checked in case you want date hierarchy. Can you make sure your column data type is date?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  Whether that box is checked or not, there is no difference in this case. Data type is not the problem, as I mentioned in my original post.

Data Type.PNG

@Anonymous so this column is used for relationship ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  Yes, it is connected to the Date Dimension table I have created. Those columns are all Data Type: Dates as well. There is a Many:1 active relationship between the "Exit Date" field in the calculated table (seen above) and the "Date" field in the DimDate table. The "Date" field in the DimDate table does have a hierarchy but not the Exit Date field.

@Anonymous yes it is intended behaviour, in this case you will use date field from date table to work in your visuals.

In my original reply I mentioned if there is relationship on this field, it will not show hierarchy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.