Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DataNerd81 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Date hierarchy missing

Hey community!

Date hierarchy isn't showing for my Exit Date field. It is tied to a Date dimension as Many:1 single direction active relationship and it's the correct data type "Date" but the calendar/date hierarchy doesn't show. I have read through all the other posts about this but none of them solve my issue.

The only reason I can think this is happening is due to the table being a calculated table based off another table (also, connected to the Date Dimension). As you can see, none of my date fields come up with a hierarchy in this table. Any other ideas?

Exit Date.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Date hierarchy missing

@DataNerd81 yes it is intended behaviour, in this case you will use date field from date table to work in your visuals.

In my original reply I mentioned if there is relationship on this field, it will not show hierarchy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut! Connect with me on Linkedin.
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

@DataNerd81 can you check if under option you have turned of "Auto Date/Time", also the field on whcih you have relatonship it will not show hierarchy for that even "Auto Date/Time" is on.

image.png

Frequent Visitor

@parry2k I did have "Auto Date/Time" checked under Options. I have unchecked it, and nothing has changed.

Super User
Super User

@DataNerd81 it need to be checked in case you want date hierarchy. Can you make sure your column data type is date?

Frequent Visitor

@parry2k  Whether that box is checked or not, there is no difference in this case. Data type is not the problem, as I mentioned in my original post.

Data Type.PNG

Super User
Super User

@DataNerd81 so this column is used for relationship ?

Frequent Visitor

@parry2k  Yes, it is connected to the Date Dimension table I have created. Those columns are all Data Type: Dates as well. There is a Many:1 active relationship between the "Exit Date" field in the calculated table (seen above) and the "Date" field in the DimDate table. The "Date" field in the DimDate table does have a hierarchy but not the Exit Date field.

Super User
Super User

@DataNerd81 yes it is intended behaviour, in this case you will use date field from date table to work in your visuals.

In my original reply I mentioned if there is relationship on this field, it will not show hierarchy.