Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

extri13
Helper I
Helper I

Date hiearchy does not work automatically in case of Direct Query

Dear Power BI users,

I have a problem to get date hiearchy automatically in case of Direct Query.

Below is the environments and deatail problems of the case.

Hope you to please help me to solve the problem.

Environments

• Stored data on MS SQL database on Azure Server
  • Get the data from Power BI using Direct Query
  • The data size is about 180,000 Rows
  • Do nothing on Power Bi side

Problems

• Can not see the date hiearchy ; Year, Quarter, Month, Day (Check right side on the below figure)
  • So, I tested same situation without Direct Query (but just import) and I can see the hiearchy (Check left side on the below figure)
  • Same on all other date columns : does not show date hiearchy

Date hierarchy_Direct Query, ImportDate hierarchy_Direct Query, Import

Sincerely,

Lee, Hong Gwoo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@extri13

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems a limitation. However I don’t find it documented in Using DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop. We will check this out internally and will post back if we get any update.

Meanwhile, you can submit your feedback on Power BI Ideas.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rajesh_dumca
Employee
Employee

I am having one strange problem, when i am importing date from CSV to Power BI desktop, the date hierarchy is auto detecting, but when i am uploading the same CSV from http://msit.powerbi.com, Date hiearchy does not work. Can somebody helps?
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@extri13

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems a limitation. However I don’t find it documented in Using DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop. We will check this out internally and will post back if we get any update.

Meanwhile, you can submit your feedback on Power BI Ideas.

Do you have any update on the problem : Date hierarchy unavailability using Direct Query ?

The current project needs to use Power BI Embedded and the PB Embedded requires Direct Query for scheduled update.

This issue doen't seem to be solved. If you want to support the reffering idea, you are highly welcome:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/16835431-automatic-date-hierarchy...

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@extri13 It is one of the limitation with directquery that you don't get date hierarchy which you get with Import.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.