Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RandyPgh
Resolver III
Resolver III

Date from live SSAS Tabular different than Desktop DateTime

When a Live connection to SSAS Tabular is used versus pulling data into the Power BI dataset, Power BI treats the SSAS Tabular Date column differently than a column that is pulled into a dataset and typed as DateTime. In other words, Power BI sees these two differently:

• SSAS Tabular column of type Date
  • Power BI dataset column

This can be seen in two custom visualizations (both on the custom visualization web site) – the Microsoft "Timeline" and the non-Microsoft "Calendar Visualization." When I build a dataset into my Power BI Desktop and assign the DateTime data type to a column, it correctly interacts with the visualizations. When I instead use a live connection to SSAS Tabular with a Date column, neither visualization works as expected. The Calendar shows nothing, and the Timeline does not interact with other visualizations. 

Another user posted this issue on the Youtube presentation of the Timeline slicer. See comments at link below or search for "Youtube Timeline slicer Power bi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMtZ4_NZ10

Thanks for any help in resolving this.

2 REPLIES 2
karthik
Advocate I
Advocate I

@RandyPgh

Check if you have marked your Date dimension as "Date Table" in your tabular model and then try.

@karthik

That might have been part of the problem. My fact table also somehow was not being tied in these measures to the Calendar table. I discovered this by trying several different measures. After setting the table to "Date Table" and changing the measure to CALCULATE( <expression>, 'Calendar'), the issue is resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.