Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tobiasmcbride
Helper III
Helper III

Date formatting

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet which displays current and forecast data. I have a column which has the actual date a particular deal was closed by sales but also have data in there which is a forecast on when the deal is expected to be closed. The latter is done via quarters and the former in full dates like so:

CompanyExpected deal close date
ABC01/06/2018
DEFQ4 2020
GHIQ3 2020
JKLQ1 2019

I am trying to get these to display nicely on a scatter chart whereby the expected deal close date is on the bottom, with the size of the scatter plot being the size of the deal itself which is another column on the table.

However I am struggling to get these dates to display nicely. Sales don't want to put specific dates on there for forecasted deals understandably and when trying to display on a scatter graph it sortes by Q1 first rather than quarter and year (i.e. I get Q3 2019 and Q3 2020 next to each other).

How would it be best to solve this so we can ideally maintain this quarterly perspective in the raw data but also get it to display nicely in a scatter graph or another table by date?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tobiasmcbride ,

Create two formula like below then add them to visual and sort by quanter.

quanter = "Q"&FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[date],-3),"Q")

year = FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[date],-3),"YYYY")

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tobiasmcbride
Helper III
Helper III

I should also point out these are fiscal quarters with a year end of 31st March each year

Hi @tobiasmcbride ,

Create two formula like below then add them to visual and sort by quanter.

quanter = "Q"&FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[date],-3),"Q")

year = FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[date],-3),"YYYY")

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.