Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cdbhealy

Date format

I have a data table that has transactions for a retail business. I am wanting to make a line chart which has each year as a separate line, and then the month/day as the horizontal axis with quantity sold as the vertical axis. Ultimately I would like the line to be a running total as of the date on the horizontal axis the quantity sold year to date.  

transactions.JPG

The first problem I am having is with getting just the month-day. I was able to separate out the year from the 'SaleDay' but any time I try to just get the month-day separate I keep getting errors. I am using DirectQuery to an sql database so as the database updates the chart will update as well. So some solutions I have found on the forum have not worked because it says it is not supported by directquery.

Chart.JPG

If anyone has a suggestion for also get a running total (the quick measure way didn't work for me, maybe I did wrong fields) I would be very appreciative. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vik0810
Resolver V
Resolver V

Do You have predefined values for years? If so, you can create a measure for given years current total and place them on your chart.

A measure definition could be like that:

2016 = CALCULATE (
    [your measure],
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Table[SaleDay] ),
        MONTH(Table[SaleDay]) <= MAX ( MONTH(Table[SaleDay]) )
            && YEAR ( Table[SaleDay] ) = 2016
    )
)

and your result would look like:

rt.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
vik0810
Resolver V
Resolver V

Do You have predefined values for years? If so, you can create a measure for given years current total and place them on your chart.

A measure definition could be like that:

2016 = CALCULATE (
    [your measure],
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Table[SaleDay] ),
        MONTH(Table[SaleDay]) <= MAX ( MONTH(Table[SaleDay]) )
            && YEAR ( Table[SaleDay] ) = 2016
    )
)

and your result would look like:

rt.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.