Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcastr02
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Date format mmm-yy

Hello I am trying to use format DAX to convert to a mmm-yy format, but the column with the date is not coming up which is completion time when I try to enter it into DAX formula.  

Date and Time.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jcastr02 are you creating a new column or a new measure?  So you create completion time in the query editor, you then push it to the visual pane and now you are trying to format that field in DAX but when you create a new column you can't see the date?  Are you sure you creating a new column and not a new measure?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Select the column and go to "column tools"

Change the Data Type as "Date"

set the Format as mmm-yy

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@jcastr02 can you post your code?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg sorry which solution? which code?

VijayP
Super User
Super User

Use this DAX in Report View instead of in power Query. 
ddmmm = FORMAT([Date],"MMM-YY")

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Hi Vijay, This worked great.  However it stores the data in the field as TEXT and if I change it to DATE, I get ERROR message.  If it's not a DATE, I cannot use it in a trend chart graph?

@VijayP   The date column will not come up for me to chooseDate and Time.png

To get Date information you must have one date column

Without Date column you cant manage any Date Hierarchy

MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

@VijayP   I have column with date (completion time)  see 1st pic above and the format is set to date and time

You are in powerquery editor

Close and apply the power query editor and then

in Report view goto Sheet View and there Add new column 

In the new column you can write What i menetioned above.

In power query editor you cannot write DAX

@VijayP Same thing, column doesn't come upDate and Time 2.png

@jcastr02 are you creating a new column or a new measure?  So you create completion time in the query editor, you then push it to the visual pane and now you are trying to format that field in DAX but when you create a new column you can't see the date?  Are you sure you creating a new column and not a new measure?

@vanessafvg    That was it, I was trying to create a measure vs. a column!  Thank you for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.