Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date format keeps changing in Power BI desktop

Hi,

I have loaded a couple of CSV files into Power Bi. Whenever there is a column related to the date, the format keeps changing automatically. 

The format in Power Editor is mm/dd/yyyy

and the format in Power BI is dddd /mmmm d/yyyy(Wednesday, March 14, 2001).

The issue is that every time I have to manually change the column format in every file which is time-consuming.

As you can see below: I usually change manually either going to Column tools in Data View or Property pane in Model View (image inserted).

date formatdate format

Looking for any other best option to solve this issue permanently.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The default date format in Power Query Editor and Power BI Desktop is always consistent with the Regional date format of your computer. It uses the short date format in Power Query Editor and uses the long date format in Power BI Desktop. You can change computer's format in Settings > Time & Language > Region. This will change the default format in Power BI Desktop Application as this behavior is automatically detected if a column is in date type.

032901.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The default date format in Power Query Editor and Power BI Desktop is always consistent with the Regional date format of your computer. It uses the short date format in Power Query Editor and uses the long date format in Power BI Desktop. You can change computer's format in Settings > Time & Language > Region. This will change the default format in Power BI Desktop Application as this behavior is automatically detected if a column is in date type.

032901.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can change the format under column tools. Once you click on column you will get that

Data Format New Rib.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have already mentioned before that I am already changing manually either going to Column tools in Data View or Property pane in Model View (image inserted in the previous message).

I am looking for the best option to sort the issue permanently.

As of now, I have to do the editing for each column manually.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.